Pc Virus?

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
Hi guys...Every time i turn on my PC, this message always pop up on the screen..

X Error loading w03cf99e.dllThe specified module could not found.
OK
How can i eliminate this? is this is a virus? I ignore this msg every time i use my pc but i have a bad feeling that it will create problem in my PC soon...

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
Google returns nothing for w03cf99e.dll.

Have you run a virus scan? I If so, has it returned anything?

Dave
I full scanned my system Sir , my PC have a norton anti virus 2005 ( Automatic update)...After I scanned i turn it OFF then turn it ON the w03cf99e pop up again then i will click ok the w03cf99e dissapear ....the problem is w03cf99e appear every time i turn on my pc...what wrong? is this a virus?:confused:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I full scanned my system Sir , my PC have a norton anti virus 2005 ( Automatic update)...After I scanned i turn it OFF then turn it ON the w03cf99e pop up again then i will click ok the w03cf99e dissapear ....the problem is w03cf99e appear every time i turn on my pc...what wrong? is this a virus?:confused:
It isn't necessarily a virus, although the lack of general information is a concern. Ok, in the other thread we gave you some links and details about Ad-aware, Spybot and Windows Defender - have you downloaded and run these applications? If so, did they find anything? Has this helped?

The problem you are describing sounds like something is running at the start-up is making a reference to the w03cf99e.dll file which is not available. Windows Defender has a start-up programs monitor: Open Windows Defender and go to Tools>Software Explorer Category:Startup Programs. Can you list up the programs here for us to look at?

Additionally, lets do a little cleaning. Download CCleaner and clean your PC of unnecessary files (be aware that it will clear your Cookies and MRU lists for the specified applications. If you are worried about this let me know and I will tell you how to get round this).

Dave

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
It isn't necessarily a virus, although the lack of general information is a concern. Ok, in the other thread we gave you some links and details about Ad-aware, Spybot and Windows Defender - have you downloaded and run these applications? If so, did they find anything? Has this helped?

-Ya Sir i already downloaded the Ad-ware & spybot...The very good things happen is while im surfing the internet now theres no more
advertisements repeatedly pop up... now i can surf without always closing all the adversetisements that make me mad ....

- With regards to windows defender i cant download it because %$#@$%:).

- You mention that i try to do some cleaning, Maybe this will the one that can finally eliminate the wo3f99e.dll....i love to try sir but you mention about the cookies & MRU will might be affected..I have a little bit idea about the cookies ( contain user information that sent to server. For example accessing my yahoo mail..) Can you give me some informations about the cookies & MrU? whats there purpose & importance?...thanks

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Cookies are small files stored on your computer that allow a website to identify you - this is important for example on this site where we use cookies to allow you to log in and surf around the forums. They are harmless in the context of PC security since they send no personally identifiable information and are only accessible to the web site that set them. Some people like to keep cookies between PC log-ins for sites the visit often for speed issues, however if you delete the cookies the site will just reset them when you return. Personally, I would remove the cookies using CCleaner. Sadly, some cookies are used by commercial advertisers to help target adverts, this can be removed by going to Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced (Internet Options can be accessed by right clicking Internet Explorer on your desktop and selecting Properties) - select Override automatic cookies handling and select Block under Third-party Cookies. You should also check the Always allow session cookies check-box. Select OK.

MRU lists are the Most Recently Used lists for various applications. It is irrelevant if you remove these or not, however some people prefer to keep them so when they launch an application the have access to a list of their most recently used files for this application, for example a list of your most recent word-processed documents in Word.

Also remeber to keep on top of Ad-aware and Spybot - download the updates and run at least once a week.

As for the DLL-file that pops up at start-up, its a pity you can't get Windows Defender -what is the reason you can't download it? Either way, go to Start>Run and type msconfig. Go to the Startup tab and post up the list under the Startup Item column - there is something running at startup that is trying to access this DLL-file.

Dave

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
Check Mate...Finally the wo3cf.dll is gone..I followed your instructions i go to ( msconfig) start up then I uncheck the Rundll32. I reset my PC to know if the dll pop up will gone and finally its gone I turn off my PC to make it sure its finally gone.
Right now i dont notice any change or any effect in the performance of my pc after i uncheck it..Thanks

-I have one more question sir. I update my window media player to window 10 so that i can play the initial D avi..When i try to play the initial D a msg pop up...
( Windows media player cannot play the file . One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found )...What should i do to solve this kind of problem?

-Thanks for the information about cookies & mru....

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Please can you do the following:

Go to Start>Search>All files and folders and type rundll32 into the All or part of the file name: dialog box and select search - this will return a series of files. You should have only the following:

rundll32.exe - In folder C:\Windows\System32
rundll32.exe - In folder C:\i386

And a few prefetch files (Type: PF File)

There should be nothing else.

Can you confirm this is the case?

I currently don't have access to WMP10 so will look at this later.

Dave

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
This is the complete list of search results...

RUNDLL32.EXE-268BFF96.pf C:\windows\prefetch
RUNDLL32.EXE-27C9FCFO.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-29E3F466.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-32A109FC.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-3603C23A.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-389471A59.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-451FC2CO.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-48635BB2.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-4A93498A.pf "
RUNDLL32.EXE-4BDF950B.pf "
rundll32 C:\windows\softwaredistribut...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
rundll32 C:\windows\softwaredistribut...
Can you give me the full pathname for this entry? The others are ok.

As for WMP10, it seems strange that you are getting an error message. WMP10 should play AVI-files. Two things to check here:

1. Open WMP10 and go to Tools>Options>File Types and verify that the Windows Video File (avi) check box is checked.

2. Ensure the file you are playing is in fact an AVI-file. This may sound stupid, but Windows by default hides the extension of known files and you may indeed be trying to play a file type that WMP10 is unable to play. (If this sounds stupid it is in fact how the I Love U virus became so successful).

Failing the above you may be best reinstalling WMP10 from Microsoft's website to ensure that it is not just a botched install.

Dave

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
Good day Sir...

Pathname:confused: i hope this is the one you try to say to me...

RUNDLL32.EXE-268BFF96.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-27C9FCFO.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-29E3F466.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-32A109FC.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-3603C23A.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-389471A59.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-451FC2CO.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-48635BB2.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-4A93498A.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-4BDF950B.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
rundll32 C:\windows\softwaredistribut application

Regarding to WMP10...Im little bit surprised bec when i go to the files type i saw all type have check window video file ( avi ) are included. Then i click ok..I click the initial d avi im surprised its working now:)... I dont now what happen ..all i know is when i go files type the avi file are already have check:) Anyway Im happy now and my nephew we can now watch together..Thanks again Sir:)

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
Good day Sir...

Pathname:confused: i hope this is the one you try to say to me...

RUNDLL32.EXE-268BFF96.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-27C9FCFO.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-29E3F466.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-32A109FC.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-3603C23A.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-389471A59.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-451FC2CO.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-48635BB2.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-4A93498A.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
RUNDLL32.EXE-4BDF950B.pf C:\windows\prefetch PF file
rundll32 C:\windows\softwaredistribut application

Regarding to WMP10...Im little bit surprised bec when i go to the files type i saw all type have check window video file ( avi ) are included. Then i click ok..I click the initial d avi im surprised its working now:)... I dont now what happen ..all i know is when i go files type the avi file are already have check:) Anyway Im happy now and my nephew we can now watch together..Thanks again Sir:)
Hi Sir dave Sorry for the late reply...Im to much busy w/ my friends equipment last week...Hope you read my msg..thanks

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi donskiter,

I am just doing a little research into the validity of rundll32 in the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder. When I am sure I will post back.

From what you are saying, you appear to have solved the majority of the issues.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
just chanced upon this thread and it might be too late to answer this one but for the sake of it.

if required codec is missing try installing a codec pack with various plugins.

acemegapro and k-lite work gr8 and run anything,
vlc player is also good i believe.
btw: i m also watching initial d

oops didnt realise there was a second page :p

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Probably an essential dll gone missing. It happens with Windows OSes. If the system starts with no other problems, check if a startup program is not functioning (ie, its icon doesn't appear). Probably you have to install that component again (or copy it from other computer with an identical installation).

If the system does not start (because the missind dll was essential to Windows), try to boot from CD and recover the system.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
yeah, i use mpc myself its the best,simplest and versatile player.
but it does require codecs to run files (especially rm and mkv etc).
the two that i mentioned have a 'lot' of codecs not only for playback but encoding and other stuff.

I am just doing a little research into the validity of rundll32 in the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder.
Dave
some sites also report rundll as a malware while they also state that it is a process which is important one and shud not be terminated.
while i doubt it to be a malware i have also come across many ppl who have had trouble with this file.

all in all, if there seems no problem with it ,i advice from personal experience that it is something certainly not to be fiddled with.