Particle Counter program for PLC's

gheid

Joined May 8, 2018
I was trying to find a base of information on writing logic to read a particle counter with a Do-More PLC and display it on a C-More HMI. I am new to the programming field and do not have a lot of knowledge in logic writing. Thanks in advance.

gheid

Joined May 8, 2018
why don't you ask google? this took 3 seconds to find and 20 to type:
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/c0userm/c0userm.html
Panic Mode,

The link you provided is a generic manual for a click PLC. The link didn't have any information for particle counters and how to write logic for them. I did ask google and that is how I found this website. Next time take longer than 23 seconds to read the post and you might understand the question first. These forums are for helping people and not belittling them just because someone thinks their an all mighty user.

Thanks

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
no offense but - generic answer to generic question (GIGO principle). ;)

No PLC in the world has instructions for 'particle counter'. i could think of many different particles (particle board, radiation detector etc). only your last post makes an indirect reference to vehicle emissions.

anyway, what you need to do is read the analog value, do bunch of comparisons to generate suitable digital data (group of flags or an integer value) and use that to control HMI message.

if your HMI supports multistate message, integer would be perfect (because single object as display).

if it does not, create bunch of individual messages and or manipulate visibility property or change message color for example.

another option (very cool but slow) is to display string value and have PLC compose string based on those value limits.

gheid

Joined May 8, 2018
Panic Mode,

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that, that there would not be a logic program for the particle counter. I have looked online at other PLC platforms and none was found. The particle counter is for hydraulic fluid and used to notify the user of the cleanliness of the oil.

I will check on the HMI and see if it supports multistate messages.

I will update with what logic I write after I am finished.

Thanks

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
; assuming you have declared integer called MSG_STATE
; and states are as follows:
; 0 = Cable break
; 1 = Device Error
; 2 = Not defined (2)
; 3 = Flow error
; 4 = Not defined (4)
; 5 = SAE 0
; etc.

MSG_STATE = 0 ; assume one state
IF (ANALOG >= 4) THEN MSG_STATE = 1
IF (ANALOG >= 4.1) THEN MSG_STATE = 2
IF (ANALOG >= 4.3) THEN MSG_STATE = 3
;... etc.

of course your limit values will be something else (depending on resolution and scaling of your analog inputs).

then on HMI create display that reads MSG_STATE and displays message for each of the states. Again you need to become familiar with your products. many HMIs will allow reading in analog value and set limits right in the message. this means you can remove programming states from PLC. if the limits are spaced regularly, one can write math expression to convert raw input value to set of states.