Partially working DC motor ramp circuit - still have questions

summersab

Joined Apr 8, 2010
The motor is a vibration motor. It's got an offset weight on the spindle, so that's the "load." I'm not really sure what the spec'd current is. The only place I could find to get it was from eBay, and it shipped from China, so there's not a whole lot of documentation or labeling (i.e. there is none).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The point I was making is if that (larger) motor is running at (or close to) rated torque in the application a smaller motor will be possibly under powered?
Max.

summersab

Joined Apr 8, 2010
Maybe I'm not following you. Presently, the 12V motor runs at full torque both on batteries and with a DC power supply (I have some pretty high-drain 18650s). The smaller 6V motor should have ample power. Why would a smaller motor be under powered? I could see that being true if I was planning to use a larger motor . . .

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
By 'Full Torque' I assume you mean it is running at the maximum continuous torque rating of the motor?
Your application requires a certain torque from the motor to operate correctly, if you have a certain motor and it requires that motor to run at its maximum continuous torque level, Then down-sizing the motor would indicate that the replacement will be under-powered if it has a lower continuous torque rating.
Max.

summersab

Joined Apr 8, 2010
These are pretty basic motors. I'm not sure what their torque rating is or if they are running at their maximum continuous torque - there are literally no markings on them. My background is in ME, so I know that there is a difference between torque and electrical power, though. The 12V one vibrates pretty strong (too strong, really), so I decided to get a smaller one and use fewer Li-ion cells to save space.

summersab

Joined Apr 8, 2010
No no no - they aren't "unbalanced." These are vibration motors like what's in your cell phone, only much bigger. They are supposed to vibrate. I'm using them for haptic feedback/silent alert purposes.

summersab

Joined Apr 8, 2010
Okay, okay - touche. I saw that a few minutes ago and realized I contradicted myself. The motor itself isn't unbalanced, though. :p

Thanks for your help and feedback!