Part Creation In OrCAD Capture

EricSutton

Joined Oct 7, 2018
Hi,

I am designing a schematic and have a relay that I want to add into it, but I want to pull the specs from the datasheet so that I can simulate with realistic values for certain things, such as coil resistance. Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial? Or if there is another schematic design program that someone recommends, where I can create my own custom parts and simulate them.

Link to relay: here

Thanks

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Does it really need to be a complete part? What kind of parameters do you want to simulate?
You can simulate a relay with a voltage dependent switch and a load resistor instead of the coil. Mabe an inductor in series if you really have to.

EricSutton

Joined Oct 7, 2018
I see, maybe you are right. That is a good idea.

Is that how most people would simulate a part? What about an IC such as an ATtiny84?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Depends what the attiny does, but generally you would just treat it a voltage source of 0V or 3.3V. If you need some specific timing, then use pulse or PWL voltage source to get it.
I am not even sure there is a simulator that is capable simulation both the code of a microcontroller and the analog stuff connected to it.
Generally you divide the design into as small and independent units as possible, so that you can simulate behavior of one function and not wait for the rest of the stuff.

EricSutton

Joined Oct 7, 2018
Depends what the attiny does, but generally you would just treat it a voltage source of 0V or 3.3V. If you need some specific timing, then use pulse or PWL voltage source to get it.
I am not even sure there is a simulator that is capable simulation both the code of a microcontroller and the analog stuff connected to it.
Generally you divide the design into as small and independent units as possible, so that you can simulate behavior of one function and not wait for the rest of the stuff.
Ok, thank you that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how I am going to create these parts.

As of now I am using the ATtiny to control MOSFETS, relays and it will control a couple motors.