Parallel circuits

AlexGT

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Hi, I'm currently having trouble to know what resistors in the following circuit are in parallel or are in series, I do know about ohms law, kerchoff's law and superposition theorem to get other information, but I'm trying to simplify the circuit to find the current using I = V/R.

The marked resistiors is a load resistor.

Simplified:

Thanks

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
Hi, I'm currently having trouble to know what resistors in the following circuit are in parallel or are in series ........
Two resistors are in series if they have the same current running through them. Therefore you can use your imagination to see what is actually in series.

A resistor has two nodes. One at each end. If two resistors share the same two nodes then they are in parallel.

After simplifying two resistors, look at the circuit you have created and re-determine what is in parallel and/or in series.

AlexGT

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Well these are the steps I've took:

Then:

Then:

And finally:

I think though that R4 and R5 need an equivelent resistor in parallel, and I'm unsure where it would go, any help would be appreciated.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Hint 1: Work from the point farthest from the voltage source, and move in towards that source. That way, you will only have 1 set of series or parallel resistors to worry about.

Hint 2: Combine the serial resistors first: If you have a 3-ohm and a 7-ohm resistor in series, and a 4-ohm and 6-ohm resistor in series, and the two sets are parallel (whew!) you would get the equivalents for the two sets of resistors in series before calculating their parallel equivalence (5 ohms, FWIW).

--Rich