PAM8403 Amplifier Distortion Problem In PC even at Very low volume and No Bass

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
PAM8403 Super Mini Digital Amplifier Board 2 * 3W Class D Digital 2.5V To 5V Power Amplifier Board Efficient
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PAM...lgo_pvid=b10f451e-ec2e-4f0e-813b-56cacb30404b
actually i purchased this board from above link i hv connected this amplifier with 5v power supply with 2 3W 4ohms speaker but it is giving too much distortion when i am using it with pc or laptop wheven i am increasing volume above 10% it starts getting distorted but when i am connecting it with mobile phone it is giving excellent sound with good bass
one more thing no bass when using it with pc or laptop is there any one who can help me with this amplifier module
how can fix this issue????

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I had a similar problem with a couple of audio amplifier chips recently. I believe your problem is the impedance of your speakers is too low and the amp is clipping horribly, or the over current protection is cutting the output. In my case the specs on paper did not pan out in the real world, and I ended up running much higher impedance than the spec specified, and got much better results. Put your two speakers in series instead of parallel, to get an 8ohm static impedance. See if that makes an improvement.

Edit --> I just re-read your post and maybe I'm wrong. Use a scope to look at the input signal from the PC and from the phone, try to play a single frequency test tone, maybe 1kHz. See if you notice any difference.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

According to the datasheet 4 Ohm speakers can be used.

PAM8403_output power.png

As you can see the distortion will rise at high volume.

Bertus

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Are you using the headphone output of the PC and phone?
Then you might have a to high input voltage for the amplifier causing the distortion.
What happens when you lower the output volume of the PC or phone?

Bertus

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
Hello,

Are you using the headphone output of the PC and phone?
Then you might have a to high input voltage for the amplifier causing the distortion.
What happens when you lower the output volume of the PC or phone?

Bertus
Are you using the headphone output of the PC and phone?(Yes)
What happens when you lower the output volume of the PC or phone?(when lowering the output volume in pc sound become less at 10% sound is little ok increasing over 10% of the volume giving very bad distortion but no problem with phone giving decent output even at full volume

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could try this little attenuator between the PC and PAM amplifier:
PC to PAM.png

The PC will see a 33 Ohms load (close to the usual impedance of a headphone) and the pam will have an attenuated signal.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What do you not understand from my circuit?

The 33 Ohms resistor provides a load for the PC output.
The ouput of the PC may be distorted when no load is connected, due to impedance mismatch.
The other two resistors will attenuate the signal by a factor of about 3 times.

Bertus