packrat needs advice...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The sarcasm is k-k-killin' me Max :D they do have a pretty nice department, this came out of a deep dark warehouse so I'm told...and has been left in the rain for a couple weeks B4 I stumbled on to it...

Should I fan-dry it in the sunshine tomorrow, and try to *fire* it up ??
You should store it somewhere warm for a while to make sure its dry right through! High voltage breakdown can be difficult to fix once its happened.

Modern electronics are assembled with water soluble flux so they can be washed instead of using ozone depleting solvents, but they don't have the porous insulations and all the nooks & crannies of old equipment.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If you don't have a heat gun, Get the old hair drier out!.
Max.
I often use the heat gun on the print side to harvest SMD parts - its almost as easy to scorch the PCB as with the modellers pencil blowtorch.

A hairdrier is less risk of damaging components, or if there's sufficient void inside the casing - hide a 60W bulb in there, stand sheets of cardboard around it to protect it from the breeze, but don't seal it up - you want the moisture to get away.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
... for enduring my indecision whether to snag this beast...:D

Shall post back if it works after I clean it up. It may take awhile, I'm gonna try the best this amateur can do...