P-MOS LED Load Current

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
No, I'd take them out, & save on parts. Classic case of designer following data sheet reference circuit without understanding how the device works. I've spent many happy hours auditing designs for manufacture removing unnecessary parts and rationalising the BOM (worst case I ever saw was 14 different values for pull-up resistors replaced with 1 value, massive savings on a production run of 10000 units!)

BTW, if reverse input not possible by design you can remove D3 and associated resistor.

kemuelgersonb

Joined Mar 18, 2019
It's a good chance to be having this design review with you then.
Reverse input is not possible so I might consider your insight removing D3 and 10k. Thanks.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Reverse input is not possible
if you switch fast the high power you still might need it ... maybe ... i must read the d/s at that point to verify ...
"... (no PWM with inductive loads)" -- likely hints it does not apply ... frequently ...
"... diagnostic feedback with load current sense, integrated in Smart SIPMOS® chip on chip technology." ... whatever it is - it likely senses the passing current independent from Vin/Vout
"Inductive load switch-off energy dissipation , single pulse U=12V, I=10A, L=3mH Tj=150 °C: EAS 0.15J" ... hints the kickback from pure wiring inductance is likely not a concern
"Slew rate off , 70 to 40 % VOUT , RL=2.5Ω , Tj=-40...150°C , -dV/dt off : min. 0.1 ... max. 1 V/μs" ... if it goes to 100ns range ... then the "maybe" gets more valid --
-- PS! that line above alone does not describe sufficiently *the switching timing . . . but there's nothing else on that d/s about*

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
if you switch fast the high power you still might need it ... maybe ... i must read the d/s at that point to verify ...
"... (no PWM with inductive loads)" -- likely hints it does not apply ... frequently ...
"... diagnostic feedback with load current sense, integrated in Smart SIPMOS® chip on chip technology." ... whatever it is - it likely senses the passing current independent from Vin/Vout
"Inductive load switch-off energy dissipation , single pulse U=12V, I=10A, L=3mH Tj=150 °C: EAS 0.15J" ... hints the kickback from pure wiring inductance is likely not a concern
"Slew rate off , 70 to 40 % VOUT , RL=2.5Ω , Tj=-40...150°C , -dV/dt off : min. 0.1 ... max. 1 V/μs" ... if it goes to 100ns range ... then the "maybe" gets more valid --
-- PS! that line above alone does not describe sufficiently *the switching timing . . . but there's nothing else on that d/s about*
All of which is true,but you missed the bit that says:

1594500795873.png

showing that it has an inbuilt clamp for small inductive loads. The external clamp is only needed for switching something very inductive. That output slew rate effectively reduces any kick-back from an inductive load, compared to an instantaneous break.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
? i'm a bit confused how it acts at the time of transients ...
?? whatever the IS(pin.4) it's not valid . . . but
??? what the protective circuitry behaves like at the time -- there's again no hints (? thermal ONLY ?)
inf-d7s.gif