Overvoltage protection against 60-70V for 5V application

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
Hello All,

What kind of overvoltage circuit should I go for to protect my current circuit that is working at 5Volt. Input voltage is around 6.5V and I have a voltage regulator in it.
If the input voltage is bumped to 60-70V what kind of protection can i do such that the voltage drops down to appropriate level. Zener diode? TVS diode?
Not a fuse or a voltage regulator solution.

Thank you in advance

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I misread your question. Post a schematic so we can see how the 5V is generated. Not many 5V regulators will tolerate a 60V differential.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It all depends on how many current is needed for this 5 Volts.
The LM317HV will allow 60 Volts as absolute maximum as input voltage.
And the TL783 will even allow 125 Volts at its input.

Bertus

Attachments

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
there is a voltage regulator and supply current is upto 400mA of the voltage regulator. It can take upto 18V max. So definitely the voltage In needs to be dropped way low if a 60V is connected.

Not supposed to use a another voltage regulator to regulate the 60V input... need to use a zener diode or TVS diode or some overvoltage protection circuit to drop the voltage down to less than 12V.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Curiosity...What are you building that takes 5V but could "somehow" be connected to 60-70V for a prolonged time? Or better.. where is that high voltage coming from or how could that happen..

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
Its not coming from anywhere.. I am just supposed to design a overvoltage protection that can withstand such high voltage and connect to that voltage and demonstrate it

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
What is the load and how many current you need?
load is a voltage regulator then the voltage regulator supplied power to PIC chip. I wont be using more than 500mA at max.
I have already finished the schematic and completed the software... and now final step is the overvoltage protection... i have bunch of options such as use zener diode TVS diode but not really much experience behind such huge voltage input and providing a huge voltage drop.

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
ohhh.. so homework and you're cheating by having someone give you the answer :p
More like guidance in the right direction is what I am looking for... and also what sort of calculations. An article of some sort on this etc... its all about learning doesnt matter where I can learn from

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
load is a voltage regulator then the voltage regulator supplied power to PIC chip. I wont be using more than 500mA at max.
I have already finished the schematic and completed the software... and now final step is the overvoltage protection... i have bunch of options such as use zener diode TVS diode but not really much experience behind such huge voltage input and providing a huge voltage drop.
As what you need, the zener diode may not give you enough current, or you have to choose a big current one, so you may use TVS, and which voltage regular are you using?

circuitfreelancer

Joined Jul 24, 2015
As what you need, the zener diode may not give you enough current, or you have to choose a big current one, so you may use TVS, and which voltage regular are you using?
Can you explain me why will zener diode not give enough current?
TVs diode (transient voltage supressor) as the name suggests is good for ESD issues that give high transient voltages for a brief moment of time isn't ti? My application I am going to give high voltage for couple of minutes.