Outdoor Hobbies

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
After I had a heart attack and got my arteries fixed, I ride my new bicycle, walk my dogs a lot more and run after my model RC airplanes around the park. I am young again at 65.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
My main hobby is metal detecting. Generally I just hit local parks and schools, but occasionally I get up into the woods, looking for gold or coins.
I will be 70 next month. I had a heart attack in 1998, which left me with 70% of my heart functioning. I had two stents implanted at the time.
I can still go above 6000 ft elevation and stomp up and down the mountains all day, as long as I pace myself.
Below are some pics of my adventures last year. The gold nugget I found in 2006.
Note: The coins were found up in the mountains, but not at the site where the picture of me was taken.;)

Attachments

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Nice coins. They must have some value?

Would be nice to know their history, how did they get there. Who lost them? And so on....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm sure they have a fair amount of value. They predate the American Civil War. I've never seen either before.

I suspect the face value at the time they were made was 10X what the face value is now. Inflation has eaten up a lot of the value over time, you could probably have gotten a good meal in 1850 with that quarter.

My Mom used to tell me about a US coin that is long gone. It was a mil, 1/1000 of a dollar or 1/10 of a penny. It was used for sales tax.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm still amazed by the achievements of some senior members of the forum. I don't know in person anybody who types on a keyboard at the age of 70. Heck, my parents hardly know what an internet forum is.

He have got some really admirable members around!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I believe the dimes are worth about $40 each, give or take 10 bucks. The quarter is worth less, because of the wear. Maybe $20.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I 'm still amazed by the achievements of some senior members of the forum. I don't know in person anybody who types on a keyboard at the age of 70. Heck, my parents hardly know what an internet forum is.

He have got some really admirable members around!
I got interested in home computers in 1975 (I was 34), when there were only a few brands available. I bought an Imsai 8080, but I sold it shortly thereafter. Perhaps a MITS Altair 8800 would have been a better choice. I suspect I would have been frustrated by it too, though.
I went to a Homebrew Computer Club meeting around the same time, and saw Steve Wozniak demonstrate a working breadboard of what was to become the Apple I computer. I was really intrigued. Shortly after the Apple II was introduced, I bought one. I loved that machine. I guess that's how I came to be typing on this keyboard at the age of (almost) 70.:)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I like the senior participation on the net!

My father, born in 1930, uses e-mail, Google and Skype. He's reading newspaper on the net, and paying bills, and trading stocks - realtime.

To be on topic, he also goes hunting. Deers and moose, and when he comes home, the weapon is disassembled and cleaned. Even thou he didn't fire.

I like to spend lazy days in the boat. :)

Last edited:

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
[Quote My main hobby is metal detecting. Generally I just hit local parks and schools, but occasionally I get up into the woods, looking for gold or coins.
I will be 70 next month. I had a heart attack in 1998, which left me with 70% of my heart functioning. I had two stents implanted at the time.
I can still go above 6000 ft elevation and stomp up and down the mountains all day, as long as I pace myself.
Below are some pics of my adventures last year. The gold nugget I found in 2006.
Note: The coins were found up in the mountains, but not at the site where the picture of me was taken.;)Quote]

Hmm.... my detector hasn't been out of the closet in about 10 years... Gettin the itch again.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
[Quote My main hobby is metal detecting. Generally I just hit local parks and schools, but occasionally I get up into the woods, looking for gold or coins.
Note: The coins were found up in the mountains, but not at the site where the picture of me was taken.;)Quote]

Hmm.... my detector hasn't been out of the closet in about 10 years... Gettin the itch again.
Yep, it's a lot of fun.
On a side note, you should use Preview Post before posting.:D

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've seen a lot of metal-detector-circuits on the net. Do you think they would work? Of course it's dependent on the assembly...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Ron,do your home about historic sites that valuable coins have found.
Land forgotten about, check out land near historic markers.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I've seen a lot of metal-detector-circuits on the net. Do you think they would work? Of course it's dependent on the assembly...
I doubt you will find a circuit that will work as well as something you could buy, but I am only speculating.
If you will be happy finding objects that are not buried more than 2 or 3 inches, with no discrimination, you could probably build one. I have found dimes (100+ years old) that were about 8 inches down with my detector, which is a Minelab Explorer SE.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Hey most of you are very senior,is their any guy under 22 in this forum ??? (must be).

Anyway one of my outdoor hobby is cycling it keeps you healthy.And this metal-detector stuff looks good I never thought about it...

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Nice! And expensive. I wish our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq had these installed in their vehicles, with an autostop function....

Guess you have quite a collection.

My father went to Finland to look for gold once. Finland, the land of thousand lakes. He and a friend. It was late summer, and the mosquitoes sounded like small Cessna airplanes, so they wore raincoats.

They found some gold, and proud as h**l they came home. My father had the gold in a match stick box, in the kitchen. I was just a little kid then and I wanted to save some rusty nails, so I could use them to some super important project only a 4 year old can start. I found the match box, emptied it and put in the nails.

So a few weeks later, my parents had a fine dinner party with some serious decorated Navy officers. During the drinks afterwards, it was time to tell stories. The gold digger story came up, and proud as a rooster, he went for the match stick box. Without checking, he opened it and pour three rusty nails on the table...

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Nice! And expensive. I wish our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq had these installed in their vehicles, with an autostop function....

Guess you have quite a collection.

My father went to Finland to look for gold once. Finland, the land of thousand lakes. He and a friend. It was late summer, and the mosquitoes sounded like small Cessna airplanes, so they wore raincoats.

They found some gold, and proud as h**l they came home. My father had the gold in a match stick box, in the kitchen. I was just a little kid then and I wanted to save some rusty nails, so I could use them to some super important project only a 4 year old can start. I found the match box, emptied it and put in the nails.

So a few weeks later, my parents had a fine dinner party with some serious decorated Navy officers. During the drinks afterwards, it was time to tell stories. The gold digger story came up, and proud as a rooster, he went for the match stick box. Without checking, he opened it and pour three rusty nails on the table...
That is a funny story! Maybe not for you, at the time, but it is now.:D

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I saw a show called Meteorite Hunters. They used normal metal detectors and some other cool stuff as well. They had a massive coil on a frame that they dragged behind a car and I think they used ground penetrating radar as well.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I saw a show called Meteorite Hunters. They used normal metal detectors and some other cool stuff as well. They had a massive coil on a frame that they dragged behind a car and I think they used ground penetrating radar as well.
A meteorite can be worth more than gold of equivalent weight, too.