Outdoor Hobbies

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hi everyone, it occurred to me that theres lot of people on here into outdoor hobbies, such as hiking, biking, ect., and no threads to discuss these

I know the intent of a thread in the off-topic section doesn't really mean much, bit I'm intending for this to be used to talk about said hobbies, such as favorite places to hike, hiking stories, hiking accomplishments, plans in the future, pictures of places you've been ect.
(you can tell I'm a hiker)
as well as asking each other questions.

Have at. :)

Last edited:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Guess I should probably start this off...
Im into hiking/back packing
Ive been to philmont, New Mexico, twice, 11 days each time.
I plan to go to again this summer for 21 days, I also plan to go to colorado and climb some 14'ers this summer with a friend and to go back to the white mountains

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OUTDOOR HOBBIES!!!

This is my hobby. That and wiring making circuits. The sun is bad for me. I go crispy and burn. I have a job that caters to that life style, I go in at 10PM, and get out at 6:30AM.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Bill, you should get out more
i have red hair and skin paler than a mole rats rear, and i drive a convertible
i would recommend some good spf 100, thats what i use :)

The great thing about hiking is that its not an imposing hobby
you ignore it for about 10 months a year, then spend a couple weeks doing it in the summer :)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Before arthritis and my heart got problematic, I biked on a converted railroad right-of-way that runs across Missouri. Now it's pretty much float trips on the rivers.

Now it's a big vegetable garden for canning, and just observing the wildlife. Saw the season's first eagle last week. We have 5 kinds of hawks, falcons, kites, and shrikes for the rest of the raptors. The usual deer and turkey, plus bobcats, mountain lions and even a lynx one year.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I go to the First and Third Sidewalk sales, it is under the overpass bridge where I am safe from the dreaded sun. Then I go to Tanner's Electronics. The walk is short so I only start to smoke by the time I get indoors. I like Astronomy though.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Before arthritis and my heart got problematic, I biked on a converted railroad right-of-way that runs across Missouri.
That would be the Katy? It is on my bucket list.

I did the trail from near my house in Pittsburgh 400 miles to Washington, DC. I also did have the distance last year just to Cumberland, MD.

As mentioned in previous post, my outdoor hobbies are bicycling and sailing. Bicycling includes bicycle touring. I have toured in Italy 3 times, rode from San Francisco to Santa Barbara and the mentioned trail to DC a couple of times.

If it was not for your heart problems I would say get back on the bike even if it hurts (after talking to your doctor). Exercise is the best thing for arthritis but the heart condition changes the whole equation.

I am very blessed to be healthy. I cannot stand to be sitting still when on vacation. The more I move the better.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I am very blessed to be healthy. I cannot stand to be sitting still when on vacation. The more I move the better.
Couldn't agree more :)
My bucket list contains all the white mountains 4000 footers, all the Colorado 14,000 footers, and of course the AT :D

[EDIT]
On an unrelated note, I just got promoted to senior member! :D

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Couldn't agree more :)
My bucket list contains all the white mountains 4000 footers, all the Colorado 14,000 footers, and of course the AT :D

[EDIT]
On an unrelated note, I just got promoted to senior member! :D

At your age you have a pretty deep bucket. Of course keep climbing all those high mountains and it might not be so deep. :)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Haha, my bucket is more of a lake :)

And as for the high mountains, personally i have yet to do something as rewarding as summiting :)
i strongly recommended it to anyone who ever gets the chance

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
R/C Aircraft, hiking, shooting, photography, and a few other things. There don't seem to many low-cost hobbies that I've pickup up on for some reason.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Arthritis has been rearing its ugly head at me for the last few years too. The wife and I go for walks in the wilderness area behind our house; lots of interesting plants and wildlife.

I used to like to go hiking when I was a teenager; walked up and down many mountains in upstate NY, and a few out west. I grew up in central Michigan, where it was pretty flat. Did a fair bit of canoeing in the early days before my Dad decided we needed a sailboat. Spent many summers sailing around on Lake Huron.

Did a lot of target shooting; still go out to the range. Went hunting a few times many years ago; didn't particularly enjoy that. I'm more of a tech-head. ;)

Used to love going skiing, however the cold weather hasn't agreed with me as much since I left MI back in the mid-70's. It's been about 20 years since I've been on the slopes now, but the Florida skiing season is just a tad too short (about 15 seconds in mid-January in the panhandle at about 3:30am). My synthetic ski boots crumbled after being in the FL heat for a few years. Oh well...

I still build some model rockets occasionally. Been awhile since I've launched any.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
@SgtWookie, I empathize, there isn't much to climb in northeastern Indiana either :p
where did you used to hiking/climbing out west? (i consider summitting a mountiaan climbng if you used your legs) Im planning on going to Colordo this summer :)

@TOG, all the fun hobbies are expensive ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I used to do a lot of mountain bike a few years back, on high school. I could climb uphill for an hour straight back then.

Unfortunately, since I moved to Athens, I haven't been close to anything green for 4 years now. When I return to my village on Easter and Christmas I usually spend time with my people (and my grandma's food) and on summer vacation I usually go sea-side at some island, backpacking, so no bike there either.

How I miss the dirt on my bleeding knees...

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
To the North and east of me are the mountians, West and south are pretty much flat, I'm in the Cumberland Plateau area.
Mostly what I do is shoot, every weekend. I"m also in Rescue Services, that means I get to go and get the people that wreck their 4 wheelers on the mountian(s). We train for that from time to time, here's a few pictures of the neighborhood and me going over the side during a training class.

Attachments

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
If you want pictures of where i live you'd better like looking at corn :p
when i get some time ill upload some pics also
(not of corn)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Gerty,I have my C.E.R.T. bag handy,I took a course at
the fire station for hurricanes. Real bad ones when there
Is not enough firemen,check houses and mark them clear.
4x4 to lift cars If needed,you know what I am saying.
You are a big guy.