Oscilloscopes: Bandwidth or Brand Name

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Well, yes... there are scopes, and then there are scopes... I use mine for digital circuits that never work at more than 32 Mhz...
For telecommunications one would need a scope in the Ghz range, for instance... I guess it all depends on the use...
To be honest, I would be very surprised if you could get accurate waveform measurements and representations at 1 MHz with those cheap scopes! But yes, it definitely depends on what you expect to use it for. If you plan on using it for an extended period of time, then it would definitely be worth buying a real scope.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Here is a link to a review of the Hantek DSO2250. It is a lukewarm review at best. Interesting reading though.

http://geoffg.net/DSO2250.html

Note: I recently purchased a Tektronix 2430 in pristine condition for $177 delivered. A Tek 2430 is a digital OS, 150Mhz BW, 100MS/s, 40MHz non-repetitive. (No, I did not have to wear a mask to get that price.)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I actually just purchased a Rigol DS1052E. I own the following:

Tek 422
Tek 516
HP 1741A
HP HP54600A
And an old Cenco kit from the '50s

Been thinking about selling a few of them to help pay for the Rigol (it was a bit of a splurge, even though it is one of the cheapest DSOs out there :p).

If you're in the Eastern US and any of these interest you, let me know and maybe we could work something out. None of them can do better than 100MHz though, but unless you're working on RF then 100MHz should do you fine.

The Tek 2430 that Lestraveled mentioned is also an excellent scope, and definitely worth looking into.

Matt

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
To be honest, I would be very surprised if you could get accurate waveform measurements and representations at 1 MHz with those cheap scopes!
It's funny you should say that. I get perfect square wave readings from a 5V 14.7456 MHz oscillator using my Hantek scope. Although I must admit that the edges look a itsy-bit rounded for my taste, but it's barely perceptible... Trust me, they might not be top-notch... but they're not that bad either...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
It's funny you should say that. I get perfect square wave readings from a 5V 14.7456 MHz oscillator using my Hantek scope. Although I must admit that the edges look a itsy-bit rounded for my taste, but it's barely perceptible... Trust me, they might not be top-notch... but they're not that bad either...
Fair enough. If it works for what you're using it for, then by all means use it! :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Good video... I liked it because he remains honest and objective and doesn't just trash-talk the pc scopes... He makes a compelling case for stand-alones though... even made me think about upgrading my not-so-wonderful hantek... ;)

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
... even made me think about upgrading my not-so-wonderful hantek... ;)
Your Hantek is wonderful! My first scope did not have BNC connectors, it had binding posts for inputs. Your Hantek is light years ahead of the first three scopes I have owned. Do not think about replacing it until it becomes a limiting factor in your development. Even if you buy a "replacement" scope later, you still probably will not sell it because it will do things that your replacement can not.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Your Hantek is wonderful! My first scope did not have BNC connectors, it had binding posts for inputs. Your Hantek is light years ahead of the first three scopes I have owned. Do not think about replacing it until it becomes a limiting factor in your development. Even if you buy a "replacement" scope later, you still probably will not sell it because it will do things that your replacement can not.
Absolutely right. Check out my oldest scope:

1374909_663828813629020_900625450_n.jpg

It doesn't even have a horizontal sweep! Just a vertical and a horizontal input! :D