Oscilloscope 4 channel, remote control, signal generator

mulana

Joined Aug 12, 2022
I am looking for a scope that

• Can be controlled remotely (see live waveform, control channels, manually stop/start, review recorded waveforms, etc)
  • Good PC software!!
  • Has 4 channels
  • Can record at least 60s of signals without stitching
  • Has a built-in signal generator. Ideally it can be triggered by a trigger from the scope but that isn't necessary

Some other points:
  • 8 bit resolution is fine
  • Sample rate of 50Mhz is fine. A bit more headroom is preferred.
  • A built-in logic analyzer would be nice, especially if it can be combined with the scope
  • Built-in serial signal decoder would be nice but absolutely not necessary

The unit can either be just PC based or can be a "regular" scope that can also be completely controlled remotely. The PC software must be good and allow full control, though. Right now I am looking at the PicoScopes but they are a bit on the expensive side costing close to $3k for what I am looking for.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I like scopes that have a built in ARB wave form generator. See the connector "Gen Out".
1660346465206.png
This is close to what I was looking for. "Mixed signal" gives 16 digital inputs.
1660346770486.png
I can not find the scope I am looking for. It looks much like the first one, has the digital inputs like the second, has the signal generator, and mostly goes to Universities.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Siglent SDS2104X Plus
2 GSa/s, 200 Mpts mem depth
~185 MHz real -3dB BW
10 bit mode.
50 MHz internal AWG optional
16ch MSO optional
Probe sense as STD.
Webserver, no PC SW needed. Can be operated from the other side of the world from within a PC browser.
Touch or mouse control.
The 5 common SPI, I2C, UART, CAN and LIN decode protocols are free with an additional 6 as options.
From $ 1399 + options.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Most scope companies now do "options" for money. Watch out. It is never clear what the options cost and what comes for the low price. The scope may cost 2X that you think when it is all done.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Most scope companies now do "options" for money. Watch out. It is never clear what the options cost and what comes for the low price. The scope may cost 2X that you think when it is all done.
It should darn well be !
Hiding the costs of options in unacceptable however it is correct that a fully optioned instrument can add 1000's to the cost of a scope or any other instrument for that matter. At times there are release promotions that offer options at reduced of free bundle pricing however unless you're in the marketplace to buy these can easily be missed.
All of 2021 Oceania had a free options (except MSO) promo running for the above SDS2000X Plus series.

The one that gets me is Deep Memory as an option in a DSO...... FFS what does the S in DSO mean and why must one pay more just to have an instrument do its primary function....capture/storage.
Manufacturers that continue to wheel out this utter BS need be called out for it !

mulana

Joined Aug 12, 2022
@ronsimpson what is the brand and model of that second scope? Do both of them have software running on a PC to control them? Most of the time I will control the scope remotely so software is very important. Once in a while I will bring the scope to some equipment and it would be nice if I can use the scope without having to hook up a laptop. But as I said, usually I will use it remotely so the software is very important.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
DSOX1204G
Rigol MSO5074 - Four Channel, 70 MHz Digital / Mixed Signal Oscilloscope I have not used this type!
Keysight Used MSOX3012A Oscilloscope, mixed signal, 2+16-CH., 100 MHz

I use Agilent/Keysight test equipment that can talk internet/USB/Serial. I do not do the software, so I don't understand how that works. I know there is software for the PC that makes your PC look like a scope and there are commands you send to the scope to get back data.

Software Video My assumption is that most scopes come with some software. Here is a video of what I use. I am not pushing Keysight, just I use it every day. My friends from Japan can see what is on my scope and they can use it just like they are in the room.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I am not pushing Keysight, just I use it every day.
FYI
One need be very careful not to do anyone a disservice in recommending them Keysight and a hint to why is in the wording of their eBay listings..... For professional and industrial use only.
Unless you are a business, getting support from them directly as a one man band or hobbyist is troublesome these days as there have been significant policy changes at Keysight.
Extended ongoing discussion here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testg...y-lost-the-plot-dont-buy-if-youre-a-hobbyist/

I am looking for a scope that

• Can be controlled remotely (see live waveform, control channels, manually stop/start, review recorded waveforms, etc)
  • Good PC software!!
  • Has 4 channels
  • Can record at least 60s of signals without stitching
  • Has a built-in signal generator. Ideally it can be triggered by a trigger from the scope but that isn't necessary

Some other points:
  • 8 bit resolution is fine
  • Sample rate of 50Mhz is fine. A bit more headroom is preferred.
  • A built-in logic analyzer would be nice, especially if it can be combined with the scope
  • Built-in serial signal decoder would be nice but absolutely not necessary

The unit can either be just PC based or can be a "regular" scope that can also be completely controlled remotely. The PC software must be good and allow full control, though. Right now I am looking at the PicoScopes but they are a bit on the expensive side costing close to $3k for what I am looking for.
Our CS320A with 0-65 MHz isolated signal generator might do. You can stream samples to disk until it is full. You'd need two units acting as a 4 chan oscilloscope. resolution is 12 bit. You can use Labview or Visual C++/Basic, Python or Matlab with the DLL. If you want you can get an Ethernet Interface, and then the scope can be anywhere on the network. You can trigger the sig gen using a scope trigger. Sample frate is 100 MSPS. The CS328A has 8 digital inputs. There is a Protocol Analyser. Everything is combined. cleverscope.com

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
For professional and industrial use only.
I don't know if there is a policy or not on this.
I went to the "help for scopes" www. and there is a form to be filled out to get help. Yes, there is a place that must be filled out "company name". I entered no_name and used a gamil.com address and the computer let me trough to get help. I know a person on the help desk for a different product and he said in his area there is no requirement for "professionals only". In fact he gets many questions for Universities.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I don't know if there is a policy or not on this.
I went to the "help for scopes" www. and there is a form to be filled out to get help. Yes, there is a place that must be filled out "company name". I entered no_name and used a gamil.com address and the computer let me trough to get help. I know a person on the help desk for a different product and he said in his area there is no requirement for "professionals only". In fact he gets many questions for Universities.
Maybe you didn't study the thread linked above or read the feedback from KS owners caught by these policy changes ?
If you're still unconvinced hobbyists and small users should give Keysight a wide berth then here's some further study for you:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testg...-a-paid-subscription-to-ask-simple-questions/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-(lack-of)-calibration-other-services/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-broken-34470a-and-keysights-terrible-customer-service/