Oscillating Lamp

DsHs

Joined Jan 21, 2016
Well, if I use such small LEDs, there's a lot more space for electronics. Heat sink and fans seem a bit too much. I wouldn't enclose the bulb (I was expecting to use a bulb originally) completely. I was thinking of making small holes at the top of the Tardis. This would (expectably) be enough to dissipate the heat and (also just a supposition) create a sort of starred sky effect.
I think I'll start with the woodworks and then see what I can fit inside.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
This is more or less the behaviour I want from the LED / lightbulb:

(This is luminosity over time.)

What I meant by "top cap" is the maximum luminosity the bulb/LED can output.
Okay, maybe no microprocessor needed. Here is a rough draft for an idea. The light blinks for a ferw seconds before staying on.

The blinking speed doesn't increase very much but that may be adjustable if the idea suits you.

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Okay, maybe no microprocessor needed. Here is a rough draft for an idea. The light blinks for a ferw seconds before staying on.

The blinking speed doesn't increase very much but that may be adjustable if the idea suits you.
Well, after playing with it for awhile maybe you are stuck with a microprocessor. It blinks before going on, but doesn't start dim or really fade in and out. It just blinks then stays on.

DsHs

Joined Jan 21, 2016
That's amazing. Thanks.
Which application do you use? Is it freeware? I'd like to do my own tinkering :)

Also, what is the value of Vcc? And are there any specs or references for the diode and the LED?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
That's amazing. Thanks.
Which application do you use? Is it freeware? I'd like to do my own tinkering :)

Also, what is the value of Vcc? And are there any specs or references for the diode and the LED?
I used 5 volts for vcc but you are not tired to that.
I use ORCAD Lite. It is free for the demo version. The free stuff meets all my needs. There are few limitations.

DsHs

Joined Jan 21, 2016
Hi. Finally got some time to start tinkering with OrCAD. Meanwhile I've been working on the the wood part of the project. Is that LM555 part of the default libraries?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi. Finally got some time to start tinkering with OrCAD. Meanwhile I've been working on the the wood part of the project. Is that LM555 part of the default libraries?
Yes, the 555 is standard but I always change the pin out arrangement to whatever I need. The libraries look like a drafter made them, not someone who uses ORCAD.

DsHs

Joined Jan 21, 2016
I was asking because I couldn't find it and I searched in all libraries. I'm still a noob with OrCAD. Maybe I just need a bit more practice.