Origin Of The Hexadecimal Numbers

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Zero was invented by the Sumerians (300BC) beating the Mayans (350AD) by 650 years. However, the first culture to treat zero as a number was India (458AD). Reference
When I was a kid I was taught that the zero was invented by the Mayas... but that was more than 40 years ago... guess history has been revised, or that my Mexican teachers were too proud of their heritage to admit otherwise...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
All of the factors are interesting but how can they say it is base 60 when they start carrying the 10s place at 10 and there is no new symbol for 60. For display purposes, it Looks like base 10 to me that only goes up to 60.

View attachment 79271
So does the fact that we don't have a new symbol for 10 mean that we aren't using base 10?

The digit symbols needed for a base-B number system are the B symbols from 0 to (B-1).

And they aren't carrying the ten's place (but it can look like it at first glance). If that were the case, the symbol in the 10's place would be the same as the digit symbols for 0-9. They simply have a systematic way of creating their 60 symbols (the entire thing is a single digit, it is NOT two different digits written together).

What that table IS missing is the symbol for zero. This is something that was added late in the game and was not used quite the way we use the symbol for zero.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah... I'm a big fan of the fast 'ol blackbird...
Me too, I just don't want to ever leak like one!

Man did that make working on the darn thing a miserable experience, but what a beautiful machine she was.

But being an Eagle Keeper was pretty sweet, too. What a classy lady.