orderly clock and boundary clock

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Hello guys ,
what's the difference that my switch work with orderly clock or boundary clock? what's the difference between orderly clock and boundary clock?

if my switch support boundary clock so can't support orderly clock?

Appreciate for good explanation on the difference between boundary and orderly clock.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
do you want to give us some links as to what you mean by orderly and boundary clocks ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
He's talking about IEEE 1588 clocks but I can only guess that he is using "orderly" to mean transparent which it the other kind of clock the specification defines.

I am no expert but there are two clocks, the boundary clock used centrally and processing all messages for sync and the transparent clock which allows propagation delay correction between peers.

Actual implementation are going to depend on the gear.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
He's talking about IEEE 1588 clocks but I can only guess that he is using "orderly" to mean transparent which it the other kind of clock the specification defines.

I am no expert but there are two clocks, the boundary clock used centrally and processing all messages for sync and the transparent clock which allows propagation delay correction between peers.

Actual implementation are going to depend on the gear.
didnt get you well, may you explain to me the difference between orderly and boundary clock in more detailed ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm sorry, I am not an expert in this area. The extent of my knowledge is that there are two types of clocks defined by IEEE 1855: boundary and transparent. Boundary clocks are centrally located and process all messages while transparent clocks are used to deal with latency between peers.

You can find a lot of detailed information on line, though.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
I'm sorry, I am not an expert in this area. The extent of my knowledge is that there are two types of clocks defined by IEEE 1855: boundary and transparent. Boundary clocks are centrally located and process all messages while transparent clocks are used to deal with latency between peers.

You can find a lot of detailed information on line, though.
my confusion is that so I can decide which device to work as boundary clock and which to works as orderly clocks?