Optocoupler to pull pin to GND and also negative voltage rail

nanok66

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Hi all,

I am attempting to use the power down function (PD) of a fully differential amplifier (THS4552). The power down function works by pulling the PD pin to GND if you are using a single 5V supply OR if you are using a dual 5V supply by pulling the PD pin to the negative power rail. I would like to control the PD function with a PIC microcontroller and wanted to know the simplest options to bring the amplifier pin to GND and to -5V.

After a bit of my own research it seems an optocoupler could work fine for both. I sketched up a couple drawings of how I thought it would work, but I'm not sure if either version is correct. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can use an opto but it's not necessary unless you need galvanic ground isolation.

With a single supply, you can just drive the pin directly from the PIC.

With a plus/minus supply you can use a simple, one PNP transistor, two resistor, level-shifter circuit (below) where "In" is the PIC output and "/PD" is the power down signal to the amp.
/PD is -5V (powered down) with 0V input and ≈+0.6V (powered) with +5V input.
It reaches 0V output at about +2.6V input.

upload_2017-10-9_8-7-58.png

Last edited:

nanok66

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Thanks crutzchow. I was definitely overthinking the GND question. And yes that is a very simple way to accomplish the negative power down, exactly what I was looking for.