Opto-isolated CNC motion control

roborobo

Joined Apr 30, 2021
Hi,
I realize this is an old thread, however I hope someone is still interested enough to reply.

I would like to build a pulse, die sink, EDM on a 3D printer chassis and recycle as many parts as possible. One thing in particular is reusing the mainboard. The benefits are numerous, however it is the ability to control motion using gcode I find most appealing. What I need help with is a circuit that uses an optocoupler to isolate the main board from the spark generation circuit. Ultimately it would be great to be able to control the spark system via software as well, but for now I will settle for just motion control. This is going to be an open source project so the final results will be shared (with warnings and disclaimers of course). I have bought a couple books (Fleming and Langlois) and understand much of the information in them, however I am still quite new to electronics.

BTW, the project and resultant tools will be used with a focus on recycling.

Please let me know if you are interested.
Best regards,
rob

Moderator edit: New thread created from this.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi,
I realize this is an old thread, however I hope someone is still interested enough to reply.

I would like to build a pulse, die sink, EDM on a 3D printer chassis and recycle as many parts as possible. One thing in particular is reusing the mainboard. The benefits are numerous, however it is the ability to control motion using gcode I find most appealing. What I need help with is a circuit that uses an optocoupler to isolate the main board from the spark generation circuit. Ultimately it would be great to be able to control the spark system via software as well, but for now I will settle for just motion control. This is going to be an open source project so the final results will be shared (with warnings and disclaimers of course). I have bought a couple books (Fleming and Langlois) and understand much of the information in them, however I am still quite new to electronics.

BTW, the project and resultant tools will be used with a focus on recycling.

Please let me know if you are interested.
Best regards,
rob
I could help you with that, I've been putting together a motion controller (opto isolated) for a cnc lathe, and it's based on the open source Grbl code for the Arduino .... I hate Arduinos, but I had to admit that it's the perfect gadget for this particular application.