opinions and help on DIY flexible PCB

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Hi, I'm a 1st year electronics engineering student and I was thinking of making a a flexible copper clad. Due to the covid19 virus I can't get materials and proceed to work on my project. The reason I'm doing this is because i can't find a flexible copper clad to practice my skills on making circuits for wireless controllers.

I want to make a flexible pcb that picks up signal from another rigid pcb but not cut it, I still what to put another rigid pcb on top of the flexible pcb i plan to make. kind of like this illustration.

1587942522757.png

Sorry if the picture sucks. the yellow stuff is the signal.

Now how would a student do something like this? Since I can't find anyone that sells flexible pcbs in my area I decided that I would make one myself.
is my project impossible or can it be done? Thanks!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

I'm having difficulty understanding what you want. Are you looking for someone who makes flexible PCBs? Or are you looking for flexible copper clad? If it's the latter, what substrate thickness are you looking for?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have some very thin, somewhat flexible, double-sided, bare PCB sheets I got years ago. I don't see any way you could make the starting material at home or, in reality, anywhere. Are you in the US? How much do you need?

I originally got the stuff for making RF shielded boxes.

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
I have some very thin, somewhat flexible, double-sided, bare PCB sheets I got years ago. I don't see any way you could make the starting material at home or, in reality, anywhere. Are you in the US? How much do you need?

I originally got the stuff for making RF shielded boxes.
Unfortunately I am from the philipphines, I was thinking that I was gonna get some very thin copper sheets and some kapton or teflon films and glue it together but i had no idea what glue to use. I've seen guys do it on youtube but they were using pyralux from DuPont.

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
What is the actual reason to include the two rigid layers?
Can't you go away with a standard PCB?
the bottom layer pcb is the main pcb of the controller, and the top layer rigid pcb is for buttons and want I want to do is I want to add an extra layer that could pick up the signals from the buttons but not stop it from going to the main pcb. The reason for this extra layer is so that I could add more buttons that serves the same purpose of the buttons from the top layer pcb but in a different location on the controller.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
want I want to do is I want to add an extra layer that could pick up the signals from the buttons but not stop it from going to the main pcb.
Show us a picture of how the buttons connect between the existing boards.

I can't see how you can insert your board and I don't think you want it to be flexible.

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Show us a picture of how the buttons connect between the existing boards.

I can't see how you can insert your board and I don't think you want it to be flexible.
1588007244446.png

Here is a picture of the boards.
The two highlighted parts connect to each other, what I want to make is a another flexible PCB that will go between the two highlighted parts that has the same layout of connectors and picks up the signals from the connectors and it needs to be very thin so it doesn't make clearance issues so I decided that a flexible PCB is best for the situation, also i need it to be flexible so it could bend around to the back of the bottom layer.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The two highlighted parts connect to each other,
Well, that bears very little resemblance to what you drew. Note that the connector in the lower right has wire like objects that will contact the flexible mating part. How do you propose to make that type of connection between the two flexible boards?
clipimage.jpg

How much clearance do you have to work with?

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020

Here is a example of what I'm trying to accomplish, a flexible board that goes between a rigid pcb and a flexible pcb.
Well, that bears very little resemblance to what you drew. Note that the connector in the lower right has wire like objects that will contact the flexible mating part. How do you propose to make that type of connection between the two flexible boards?
View attachment 205548

How much clearance do you have to work with?
These connectors are like bumps and on the flexible pcb has foam on it's back to provide pressure and ensure that a clean connection is made.

Clearance is 5mm to 10mm