opinions on for-profit help requests.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I perceive of society in general, not of this site specifically, that when asking for help with something directly related to making money, there is some expectation of an offer for compensation. And further, that such requests without the promise of compensation given are taken as almost insulting. Like the idea is "why should I help you make money when I don't get anything out of it." I may just be paranoid, but I want your honest opinions. If I ask for help for something that I intend to sell, or for a service that I intend to perform for profit, does that put anybody off? Is the fact that I try to give here as much as I take enough to offset any help-asking faux pas that I might commit in doing so?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think it has to do with the time you will spend helping out AND the relation you have with the other person. I will help my close family for free for as much as they want; I owe them a great deal.

Other than that, if I sacrifice time that I needed to help someone, I usually expect some sort of (immediate or not) compensation, either that's money or something else.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Just to be clear, I am asking from my own perspective, and that is the perspective of a one man operation service company. The things I make are never going to make me rich; they are usually singular purpose items built out of a unique need. But, would your answers (future responses) be any different if I were speaking of designing products for the assembly line with multi million dollar profits expected?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It will depend. Is this related to requests in this forum or any forum for that matter. Or is it on a more general basis outside the cyberspace

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I think it depends on how much time somebody spends helping you.

I think it's reasonable for a person to expect some kind of return if he/she spends weeks working something out for you.

What you get here on the forum is quite general information, you don't get complete solutions. This help is free.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It will depend. Is this related to requests in this forum or any forum for that matter. Or is it on a more general basis outside the cyberspace
All of the above really. I've made requests here for help in for-profit ventures, so that's why I'm asking the question here. I'm trying to get a feel for IF there is a line, and if so, WHERE the line is, and if I've already crossed it.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
All of the above really. I've made requests here for help in for-profit ventures, so that's why I'm asking the question here. I'm trying to get a feel for IF there is a line, and if so, WHERE the line is, and if I've already crossed it.
I doubt you crossed it. I ask for help for my work too.

Who would cross it is the one that asks to develop a multilevel 3-phase inverter which would take you years and then sell it at zero-development cost.

I think we had some posts like this, I'm not sure though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes, I've seen posts requesting much more than I was willing to give...so I didn't give. If you ask too much, that is what I'll give you...nothing. The reason is that if I feel over invested in something, it feels bad, so I just don't do it.

Everybody that posts answers here does it in complete understanding that the only pay you will ever get is either Karmic in nature or the satisfaction of designing something nice, or the exercise it gives yor brain.

Somewhat like debe, I don't care about money. If I have enough to meet the bills, I am satsfied. I will never be rich because I don't care enough to pursue it.

Gee, I wish there was a spell checker on this site!
I have to start an email to check my spelling (then delete it).

If you ask a question in order to make a profit, I don't care. If I can answer it without feeling over invested, I will answer it. Sometimes, I even, "go the extra mile" for a friend. Still, there is a limit to that. I won't curse you for asking, I will simply decline to answer.

In my personal life, I require that people ask me for what they want. I suck at mind reading and have had disappointing moments when I tried. I thought I was being helpful, but I was only getting in the way. I require the same of you. Ask. You never know when somebody will pop up with exactly what you need and is willing to give.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Firefox has embedded spell checking. It saves my face daily.

I don't know about Chrome.
it does....

I think that as long as you don't go off and sell the design for millions of dollars, you're good....

Personally, I think if you make money off of another person's work, they should be compensated....

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
tshuck said:
Personally, I think if you make money off of another person's work, they should be compensated....
I tend to agree, broadly. But when you try to address a specific scenario other than "guy invents gadget in garage with help from forum, then sells design for millions," things get very grey very fast. I'm on my phone now so I don't have time to go into all the specific scenarios I've thought up, but just give it some thought and I think you'll see what I mean. If not, I will be back later with some food for thought.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Dude,

I've asked a few questions about stuff at work. I know intelligent people who are helping know it's for work but are classy and help all the same. IMO, the site isn't only for amature endevours, but professional ones as well.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The things I give advice on aren't anything new or original. I am still held back from some topics and "property" that I came up with by a non-compete/non-disclosure, same with my current employer, who is more lax about it.

If they are asking a question that will turn into a big money making invention, I let them know that, and am happy to be a part of it, recognized or not. The only thing I'd tell somebody if they were going to mass-market an item would be "Don't get a patent, and have another EE optimize it beyond 'it works'".

<side topic>
Patents are just a license to steal trade secrets for shops Outside the US. Unless the owner intends to make over $500,000 (profit, not net/gross), on an invention, it can't be forcefully guarded, so holding the design proprietary is the best way to go.
</side topic>

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The things I give advice on aren't anything new or original. I am still held back from some topics and "property" that I came up with by a non-compete/non-disclosure, same with my current employer, who is more lax about it.
Dude, I've made millions from your advise! Ok, not millions, but I'm getting a pretty good stack of cash from consulting, and I've worked out some of my questions with you and EarnieM. Maybe I buy you a beer someday.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Strantor,

In the general scheme of things, I would not expect compensation for whatever advice I'd dispense, especially here. You know you've crossed the line when some stop responding to your questions.

The line is in the head of those giving the advice, not in those requesting it.

I'd bet there are times when some are responding to others are thinking they should be compensated for what they were typing. I know I have at times. Other times I felt it was a chance to give back to help another person. The chance to help others almost always wins against the I should be compensated feeling, which I think occurs more often than not here in these forums.

Some advice was learned at the School of Hard Knocks, and even then, there is joy in helping others skip any lesson from that school.

I believe this site fosters encouragement and as such, the advice is dispensed cordially, even when some have beat on another's last nerve. When one's last nerve is touched too often, that member usually takes a sabatical. I hope Audioguru is on a sabatical and really didn't execute a permanent self-imposed ban.

This does not preclude a couple of members here from colaborating on a for profit venture. I would wish all who collaborated on the venture the best.

This last year, you took a big leap. I'm sure the discussions leading up to your leap played a small influence in, for the lack of a better word, pushing you towards that dream. There is not one amoung us that didn't cheer for your success, and with each feedback I've read, I know you made the correct choice.

Any question could be asked. Responses are never mandatory, especially on the internet.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If your just asking questions and getting occasional help I can see that as making anyone mad, good for you and more the best. If you buy a Ferrari lemme in on what your doing so I can do it too. :) If someone gives you some code and you use it and make $60,000 off it in a year it would be good karma to throw that person $10k or so. Treat people fair and usually people are cool. If you need cheap work done let people know a lot of people can do certain stuff really quick and some people are just bored and would rather grab $100 in a day then watch jerry springer and hear the wife yap about the squeaky door. But No I don't think anyone will be put off if your making money unless you misslead them or do not fulfill your end of a deal. Thats my honest opinion. :p