Operating temperature of a coil

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
Allo all,
I am looking for a way to establish the operating temperature of an EMF induced copper coil on AC on 50-60 hz current that operates 24/7.
The generated voltage through the coil will be flowing freely.
What is the best way of figuring this out.
If for example
I = 100
v = 0.0512
R = 0.000512

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Unless you can find some published estimate or guidelines, that's a very tough calculation. You'll need good estimates of the dimensions, the thickness of any insulation layers, air flow and so on. At steady state you're dissipating I^2•R = 10,000•0.000512 = 5.12W. That will leave the coil by conduction, convection and radiation. You need to estimate all 3 as functions of temperature in order to estimate the temperature at steady state.

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
OK so It really is not that simple. I Know that I need a cooling system but I am trying to establish if air cooling or liquid and also what material I should be using to envelope it.

I was looking at motors with similar power and domestic generators, thinking that might give me a good idea. Is it?

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
Actually my design allow for liquid coolant to pass through the coil's core. I am sorry I cant give to many details but lets just say I wish I could afford to pay an electrical engineer to solve all that. I have a applied for a patent for my project but its not all processed yet.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would have thought that empirical testing could be one useful method of prototype development to arrive at a figure that could determine the end method required ?
Max.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"The generated voltage through the coil will be flowing freely."

What does that mean? Is the coil being induced with flux....or....with current?

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
I agree Max but it also comes at a price am not yet ready to invest although, i am getting close.

BR-549 I simply meant that the current would be flowing through the wire the same a if you'd be using a toaster. Sorry i don't want to sound rude. lol

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
BR-549 - I suspect this is a case of misusing "EMF" to mean electromagnetic field. It is not uncommon, popularized by the fear-of-fields crowd.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
OK so It really is not that simple. I Know that I need a cooling system but I am trying to establish if air cooling or liquid and also what material I should be using to envelope it.

I was looking at motors with similar power and domestic generators, thinking that might give me a good idea. Is it?
You can get an estimate by comparison to similar objects. If you have the room and such, just overdo the cooling and you should be fine. If you need a precise solution, that's much harder.

You need to dissipate 5W, which is not huge. Look at a 5W resistor, and consider how hot it can bet before it fails. They're not that big but they can tolerate higher temps than you'll want.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
May I ask, are you driving this with a current source or a voltage source? And by establish....do you mean control and maintain a temp?

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
May I ask, are you driving this with a current source or a voltage source? And by establish....do you mean control and maintain a temp?
I am creating a form of generator. I cannot give more detail then I already have. But I do want to control and maintain temp.

It is very hard to explain the what my invention need without talking to much about what must remain untold.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I must mis-understand. Are you heating the coil with current or flux........or are you heating with water or fluid thru hollow coil?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Can you describe the coil? Number of turns?

Is it like a spring or standard coil? Can you physically expand and compress the coil?

How precise and how quick acting does the control need to be?

Silverfox11

Joined May 6, 2017
Can you describe the coil? Number of turns?

Is it like a spring or standard coil? Can you physically expand and compress the coil?

How precise and how quick acting does the control need to be?
I can vary the amperage and The coil is standard coil made of 9.26mm copper wire

Last edited: