open circuit

kipper

Joined Mar 14, 2005
Good evening
I have to bypass an automotive lamp...
while trying to remove lamp I tore wire and blew the fuse...
can someone tell me how to bypass this?
chevy truck

thanks

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
There should not have been any voltage going to the lamp, unless the lamp was turned on. If the lamp was off, you should not have blown a fuse. Which lamp were you removing? If the wiring in the truck is screwy somehow (where perhaps the negative voltage is switched and the positive is always hot to the lamps) then just remove the fuse prior to changing lamps.

kipper

Joined Mar 14, 2005
The cover which covers the switch (normally off/closed) is broken, thus the switch is open/on and the light is on all the time....
So I was trying to remove not replace the bulb when I freyed the wire...and blew the circuit... it turns out the shade is the assembly...bulb is hardwired.

Originally posted by Erin G.@Mar 14 2005, 11:10 PM
There should not have been any voltage going to the lamp, unless the lamp was turned on. If the lamp was off, you should not have blown a fuse. Which lamp were you removing? If the wiring in the truck is screwy somehow (where perhaps the negative voltage is switched and the positive is always hot to the lamps) then just remove the fuse prior to changing lamps.
[post=6089]Quoted post[/post]​

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Well that explains why you blew the fuse :D If you don't need the lamp then you could just disconnect and tape up the wires that feed it. If you do need the lamp, then buy the parts you need to replace, pull the fuse first, and then work on it. Automotive wiring can be a real pain,...

kipper

Joined Mar 14, 2005
thanks
mich

Originally posted by Erin G.@Mar 16 2005, 11:15 PM
Well that explains why you blew the fuse :D If you don't need the lamp then you could just disconnect and tape up the wires that feed it. If you do need the lamp, then buy the parts you need to replace, pull the fuse first, and then work on it. Automotive wiring can be a real pain,...
[post=6142]Quoted post[/post]​