OP AMP supply vs output voltage

electro63

Joined Dec 2, 2021
Hello,
I am building an audio mixer using tl074 op amps. During testing I realized that when voltage output is reaching around 10V (20Vpp) there is a increase in the supply current of a couple of mA (dual supply is 12V / -12V). The same when the load impedance is getting too low. Some graphics in the datasheet show the relationship between these parameters. Nevertherless I'd like to understand if these increases of current consumption maybe be armful for the component or introduce some noise on the supply. What should be the limit? Thanks for your help

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd like to understand if these increases of current consumption maybe be armful for the component or introduce some noise on the supply.
The outputs are protected from shorts to ground or either supply, unlimited duration.

Output swing for light loads is only guaranteed to be within 3V of the supplies; within 5V for heavy load. If you always operate in linear mode, you shouldn't have a problem with noise being introduced on the power supplies.
What should be the limit?
What limit?

electro63

Joined Dec 2, 2021
Thanks for your prompt reply Dennis,
So If I understand well, these increases of consumption are normal behaviour and won't affect the rest of the circuit or arm the component is it?
I'd like to use it as a "saturation" (clipping) stage...

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It won't hurt it, but if this is for an Audio application, the Clipping is going to sound really bad.

Probably not satisfactory for a Distortion-Effects-Pedal, but who knows ?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The datasheet for the TL074 and most other opamps shows a minimum load of 2000 ohms and a maximum peak output current of only 5mA.
Clipping does not sound horrible if the loudspeaker does not produce the high frequency harmonics or if the listener has old people's high frequency hearing loss.
Most people who listen to loud clipping probably have it causing high frequency hearing loss.