Op-Amp + Laptop = Signal Generator?

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
I want to throw together a quick signal generator.

I have a basic 741 buffer here (one 741, two 1k, 1mF between each power input and ground, that's it) on a breadboard and I presume if i connect the audio output to it i could make a simple Signal Generator the the audio range using audacity or Matlab.

Can i tie L/R together to non-inverting, and connect the ground from the sound card to ground on the breadboard/powersupply?

Also, kind of the same question, can i put the Scope across the audio output?

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Why not use L or R? The sound card may not be happy if you short the left & right channel together.
You could do it using resistors in series with each making a 'Y'.

'scope, yes.

It's a good idea to show us your circuit.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I want to throw together a quick signal generator.

I have a basic 741 buffer here (one 741, two 1k, 1mF between each power input and ground, that's it) on a breadboard and I presume if i connect the audio output to it i could make a simple Signal Generator the the audio range using audacity or Matlab.

Can i tie L/R together to non-inverting, and connect the ground from the sound card to ground on the breadboard/powersupply?

Also, kind of the same question, can i put the Scope across the audio output?
If you are just looking to hear a signal from your computer, why not just plug the speaker set into the computer.
It sounds like you want the computer to generate the signal with matlab or audacity and use the 741 to AMPLIFY the audio.

Unfortunately, the sound card has a more powerful amplifier than the 741. You can simply plug some headphones to your computer and listen - no need for the 741.

On the other hand, you can make a free-standing signal generator (square wave) with a few resistors and a capacitor.

What exactly do you want to do? Help us understand...

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
Sorry yes, specifics. I need a sinwave generator over the Audio range, for College Lab Exercises, basic CE, CC, AB amplifiers. needs to be up to 10Vp on the base of transistors, i don't need much current, just voltage.
Was cautions about plugging the laptop directly into any of my circuits so i wanted to isolate them.
Yeah, suppose i do want to end up with an amplifier, i just started with a buffer, was going swap out a resistor once i was happy things were going ok.