Op amp creating DC offset Upstream?

NullPoint

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Where is the offset occurring? Generally you could counter that with an adjustment pot at the proper spot in the circuit.
At the output of the AD8226. Signal had a dc offset slightly higher than Vref instead right at it.

Id rather not have to employ adjustment pots.

NullPoint

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hello,

Do you have the AC I bias resistors?
from the same datasheet:

Bertus

Yup, using 1uF caps and 33kOhm resistors. cut off freq = ~5Hz

I'm using this setup to measure biopotentials so the noise is most def coming from the body. Usually the high CMRR eliminates this noise but I don't really understand why the HPF at the inputs degrades this.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yup, using 1uF caps and 33kOhm resistors. cut off freq = ~5Hz

I'm using this setup to measure biopotentials so the noise is most def coming from the body. Usually the high CMRR eliminates this noise but I don't really understand why the HPF at the inputs degrades this.
At that cutoff frequency any mismatch between the RC time-constants can cause a differential output signal for common-mode 60Hz pickup. A simulation shows that a 10% difference in time-constants (which can easily occur due to the large tolerance of electrolytic caps) would give a 17mv difference signal for a 1V common-mode input signal. Try changing the capacitors to at least 100uF and/or increasing the resistor values.

NullPoint

Joined Jul 16, 2011
At that cutoff frequency any mismatch between the RC time-constants can cause a differential output signal for common-mode 60Hz pickup. A simulation shows that a 10% difference in time-constants (which can easily occur due to the large tolerance of electrolytic caps) would give a 17mv difference signal for a 1V common-mode input signal. Try changing the capacitors to at least 100uF and/or increasing the resistor values.
Would choosing a different cutoff freq help? I chose 5Hz cause its the minimum frequency the true signal would produce. I could move it lower if it would help remove the 60Hz noise.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Ah OK. I took it to mean up the cap or resistor but keep the same freq. (Eg 0.01uF and 3.3MOhm).
The idea is to make the corner frequency much lower so variation in the filter gain at 60Hz is negligible, even if the capacitor/resistor values vary due to their tolerances. And anyway you should have the corner frequency much lower than your lowest frequency of interest, since you lose 3dB of the signal at the corner.

NullPoint

Joined Jul 16, 2011
The idea is to make the corner frequency much lower so variation in the filter gain at 60Hz is negligible, even if the capacitor/resistor values vary due to their tolerances. And anyway you should have the corner frequency much lower than your lowest frequency of interest, since you lose 3dB of the signal at the corner.
What cutoff frequency would you recommend?