Op Amp Bode Plot 3db Point

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can't do a Bode plot using the transient analysis, you do a small-signal AC analysis (the word Bode is not mentioned but it produces such a plot).
For a Bode plot, set the voltage input source Small signal AC analysis voltage (1V to normalize a gain-of-one to 0dB), and then do an AC analysis (shown for a arbitrary frequency range of 1Hz to 1MHz).
Note that the circuit must be biased into its DC linear region for this, and the circuit is linearized around that point (no large signal effects).

1642317536629.png
1642317629184.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That is almost what I did, except I still had Sine ticked on. Plus the
1642320315528.png
Becuse Eric had his set to decade, so... Not solid on the sweep options yet, they need a bit of studying still. Plus on the plot put in an equation for out/in. That part is not able to cut and paste on so it is not easy for me. I have a hard time with LTS because the font is very small and hard to see for me. I updated the sweep to your settings except 3meg to stop and now get.
1642321115809.png
I can see what is going on. I think I'm ready to start modeling and plotting the rolloff to compare with Open Loop gain. There is still a lot for me to learn about LTS. Most of the LTS docs I have are what the settings are without much about why to use them. All how and no why! I did look at what Analog Devices has on their web site and it was more of the same except for LTS4. I didn't find much any better on the LTS Wiki. The way I edited and built the TL071.asy is not what they had in the help doc but it works perfectly for me. When I tried it on Erics schematic it couldn't find the TL071.301 PSpice file and I assume that was a filepath issue between his setup and mine. Ah, well plenty to do later after a bit of sleep. Thanks again for the help Carl!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Morning Sam.
A quick point is the Stop Frequency 10M is not 10meg, type in 10meg
E.
LTS uses the meg suffix for mega values

Time for morning tea and biscuits.

Update:
Font Size,
E
EG 1255.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Sam.
Use the Colour set panel and make the plot background White, Like you, I sometimes cannot read others plots.

E

Update:
To add text or a symbol to a circuit or plot window, press keyboard 't'

EG 1256.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've tweaked it already but some of the popup screens still have small text in them. Using a 27" monitor that is 4' away. I did go ahead and tweak the plot screen background and line colors to make them more visible for me. The standard black background with dark blue lines and labels was giving me fits so I fixed it. Thinking I may get a 33" monitor and a swing arm wall mount so it can be a bit closer to me. Anyway back to OPAs.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Sam,
Sounds as though you are working in difficult conditions.?

Tip:
To expand your screen for say the Forums text, hold down the Ctrl Key and move the roller wheel on the mouse.

E

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
To expand your screen for say the Forums text, hold down the Ctrl Key and move the roller wheel on the mouse.
I am constantly doing that. When WIN10 first came out, I struggled with reading it and used their magnifier often. They have improved it over the years.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK, looks like I'm good to go. I'll start printing once my wife wakes up since the printer is in our bedroom. Thanks again for all the help!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If helps if you label the nodes that you are measuring (such as In and Out) so that's it's apparent on the plot what is being displayed.
V(n003) or V(n004) doesn't tell that.
Use Label Net (F4) below.

1642345020648.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Thanks Carl, I was looking for a way to do that. The TL071 symbol has quit working. When I try to run the simulation, it gives me the "library file TL071.301 not found" error message. That file is in the same Opamps subdirectory with the symbol. I tried adding the .inc, .include, with just the filename and then the entire long path from the root directory to the file. Still didn't work. One help note metioned it can occur with a new symbol and to stop and restart LTS. Nope, nada. I've edited, checked the symbol attributes, just about everything but start all over from scratch and I'm about to try that now. One of the LTS manuals reccomends right clicking on the .SUBCKT TL081 1 2 3 4 5 line in the PSpice file and telling it to create symbol. But you get this:
1642347490588.png
Not a very good opamp symbol... Anyway, I'm still plugging away at it hoping something works.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Started from a clean sheet. The exact error message I'm getting is Could not open library file "TL071.301". The files are there, they have not changed, and it was working... The only thing left is rebuild the symbols once more.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Look in this TL07x.mod it has the 071, 072 and 074 models.
E
Refresh:
It did not upload, so added .txt,, delete the .txt when you have downloaded it.

Attachments

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The .asy symbol file and the .301 PSpice model file are both in:
C:\Users\Sam R\Documents\LTSpiceXVII\lib\sym\Opamps\TLl071.031 (which is the model file) and the TL071.asy is also there. I went ahead and redid everything. I went to File, New Symbol, and then opened the opamp2.asy file and edited the name and the attributes, and then saved it back into the Opamps subdirectory with the new name TL071.asy. And it was working, but now I found the error causing the FIle not found, and getting a new error and got called away by the wife to clean and replace the needle cartridge on our stereo turntable.

ALSO: I did find some other symbols is some odd directories including the TL07x by EETECH.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Have, for now at least, straightened out the File not found problem. Now it's
1642360604870.png
Which I was not seeing last night... Sounds like the 5 attachment nodes on the model were not getting defined by the PSpice model file TL07.301.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
ALSO: I did find some other symbols is some odd directories including the TL07x by EETECH.
Hi....my ears are ringing:D

Anyway....I looked for the mentioned file in my archives and can't find it.
I'll provide a new model file, I don't think you'll be happy with the TI model anyway. I wasn't.
For example, I did a quiescent current test and the model was drawing 255 AMPs.:confused:

Give me a few minutes...

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Your opamp has a voltage gain of almost one million times because it has no negative feedback added. If its input level is almost anything then its output is clipping like crazy and most measurements are useless.