Online Break Room Chit Chat

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Good Morning All

Weekend is coming up or here in a couple of hours.

Been told the economy is up.

I'm going to look at the Dow Jones 500 on Bloomberg.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Amazon is headed back to nosebleed territory ($1000.00+) after announcing the purchase of Whole Foods.
"Jeff Bezos is an American technology and retail entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist who is best known as the founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Amazon.com, which is the world's largest online shopping retailer".

His parents were his chief investors, he was told by finance his idea would never work. My wife loves Amazon and her Amazon Prime account. You can buy just about anything on Amazon and within two days a little brown truck or the US Postal Service drops it on your doorstep.

When we retired we told our finance girl no risk investments so I no longer look at the market(s) daily but last year we turned about 8% on low risk investments. Works just fine for me. :) Thought being at our age it's not like we have time to put money back if we lose.

Ron

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
"Jeff Bezos is an American technology and retail entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist who is best known as the founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Amazon.com, which is the world's largest online shopping retailer".

His parents were his chief investors, he was told by finance his idea would never work. My wife loves Amazon and her Amazon Prime account. You can buy just about anything on Amazon and within two days a little brown truck or the US Postal Service drops it on your doorstep.

When we retired we told our finance girl no risk investments so I no longer look at the market(s) daily but last year we turned about 8% on low risk investments. Works just fine for me. :) Thought being at our age it's not like we have time to put money back if we lose.

Ron
I started the transition to fixed income after the DOT COM bust in 2001. But without some exposure to the market, inflation and rising rates will kill even the best FI portfolio.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I started the transition to fixed income after the DOT COM bust in 2001. But without some exposure to the market, inflation and rising rates will kill even the best FI portfolio.
Initially I played that game. Finally we went with a financial adviser and it was the best move we ever made. We needed someone who knew what they were doing. Initially we had Jack who was great followed by Brenda when Jack retired. Brenda sits down with us a few times a year and we go over things but we could not be more pleased. I just was not that good with my crystal ball. :)

Ron

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Let me stick in one of my idiot savant remarks here.

It's been a lot easier to figure out hex since I found out one thing.

The 0x in front of and the h after just mean it's a hex number. Done.

The old saw was 'stocks when you are young bonds when you are old'.

Really that's not my thing. I will butt out of that.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Amazon is headed back to nosebleed territory
Amazon.com, which is the world's largest online shopping retailer".
I just had an argument with Amazon.com
I searched for a, "Logitech optical USB mouse".
First answer was the right one. I clicked.
Amazon refused to let me pay for it because it is an, "add on" purchase which Amazon offered to add-on to my empty shopping cart.
Then refused to let me purchase it.:mad:
I went to newegg.com and had a mouse ordered in about 4 clicks.:cool:
It's defective and it's going back to newegg, but at least I'm not still trying to get Amazon to offer me a mouse I can actually buy.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Initially I played that game. Finally we went with a financial adviser and it was the best move we ever made. We needed someone who knew what they were doing. Initially we had Jack who was great followed by Brenda when Jack retired. Brenda sits down with us a few times a year and we go over things but we could not be more pleased. I just was not that good with my crystal ball. :)

Ron
Glad you have a situation that makes you comfortable. I prefer to manage my own affairs, because I don't trust anybody else's motivations.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Glad you have a situation that makes you comfortable. I prefer to manage my own affairs, because I don't trust anybody else's motivations.
Financial consultants are bonded and licensed. I trust mine more than I trust myself in matters of finance. That said there are a few bad eggs out there, Bernie Madoff comes to mind. We had Jack for about a decade and now have had Brenda slightly over a decade. They both have done very well by us. Their motivation? That would be money, the better we do the better they do. :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

We got our two clone PICKit 3's from Newegg.

Been dealing with them for years.
The Egg is another place I have dealt with, have the T-Shirt! NewEgg has actually grown and seems to carry more now that maybe 15 years ago. They were always reasonable for all my computer components and needs. Good place to deal with.

Ron

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Financial consultants are bonded and licensed. I trust mine more than I trust myself in matters of finance. That said there are a few bad eggs out there, Bernie Madoff comes to mind. We had Jack for about a decade and now have had Brenda slightly over a decade. They both have done very well by us. Their motivation? That would be money, the better we do the better they do. :)

Ron
I do better than most, and I pay myself the fee.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I do better than most, and I pay myself the fee.
I made some good investments and some bad. I also tended to keep watching the market to where what began as fun was not just becoming work but work I was not very good at. Our first financial advisor was a gentleman who did a TV Show at the TV station my wife was a manager at. It just went well for us and like I mentioned, financial investing is something I was not very good at. Hell, if you can turn a buck then by all means do it and as you mentioned, better to pay yourself a fee then someone else. While I doubt I would have "lost the farm" I do figure Brenda has made us more than I would have.

Ron

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'have one of these and it makes all the birds disappear!:'

It would be nice to work on my Guillow's kits.

The scale race car frame has bumped that off the work bench.

As far as the market. Making a killing is for adventurer's.

If your wife doesn't mind taking the kids and moving in with her mother for two or three years.

While you raise some more money for your next big play after losing it on your last big play.

Then you too MAY get the golden ring.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I made some good investments and some bad. I also tended to keep watching the market to where what began as fun was not just becoming work but work I was not very good at. Our first financial advisor was a gentleman who did a TV Show at the TV station my wife was a manager at. It just went well for us and like I mentioned, financial investing is something I was not very good at. Hell, if you can turn a buck then by all means do it and as you mentioned, better to pay yourself a fee then someone else. While I doubt I would have "lost the farm" I do figure Brenda has made us more than I would have.

Ron
I'm actually glad that you have found a method that works for you, and I certainly don't begrudge you your success or peace of mind. Rock on.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

We got our two clone PICKit 3's from Newegg.

Been dealing with them for years.
So, @#12 will get an alert if you use the @ sign or if you reply will do the same thing. He then will know you responded.

Other cool fun features are available in your toolbar above the reply field.