Online Break Room Chit Chat

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Okay. I'm taking a break.

Anybody live where they have a minor league baseball team.

I think that's the deal of the year.

Raised in Southern California.

Do I want to wait in 2-3 hours of traffic to watch the Angels or the Dodgers?

I don't think so.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
If you're taking a break. You qualify.

Quick explanation.

At minor league games tickets are usually $5 compared to a whole lot more for regular major league stadiums.

And the differences go on and on.

I'm sure wherever you are they have reasonably priced stuff and 'throw your money away' stuff.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I guess there are comparisons to football here - premier league versus non-league - but I'm no football fan.
I'm a motor sport fan. Formula 1 at Silverstone this year: £300, the winter series at Brands Hatch (where the marshals generally outnumber the spectators: £5, and the racing is just as good!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Haven't wasted money on a sporting event in nearly 50 years.
<= BTW this is me driving round Brands Hatch.
Oh, you don't know what you are missing!
Sitting at Brands Hatch, in an open stand, in the cold and wet of winter, watching cars go round in circles, is so uplifting.
There was one day I and my sister were there and mid-afternoon she said "I'll be glad when I've had enough of this.".

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'local fundraisers where cops play figherfighters'

Here's your motorsports connection to that.

A law enforcement 'Crown Victoria' stock car series.

Obviously they get a deal on the 'kick outs' from the fleet they use to build the race car.

Okay with me.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'Haven't wasted money on a sporting event in nearly 50 years.'

Guess it's a maturity thing.

What would I sit and watch instead of getting stuff done.

Can't think of anything right now.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
During the mid to late 70s I lived in Anaheim CA and for a few bucks we would head over to the stadium and watch the Angels play. It was always fun on those quiet summer evenings. While I grew up with my NY Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers today I live in Cleveland so it's the Indians but we also about a 30 min drive have the Captains minor league team. They play in Eastlake, Ohio and have a real nice stadium as well as real reasonable prices. They are a farm team for the Cleveland Indians. You see some real good baseball at reasonable prices for a nice summer day or evening and even the food concessions are good food and reasonable. You can normally just show up and get good seats. Heck, going downtown for an Indians or Cleveland Browns MLB or NFL game cost more to just park than an entire evening of good minor league baseball.

Ron

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
<= BTW this is me driving round Brands Hatch.
Oh, you don't know what you are missing!
Sitting at Brands Hatch, in an open stand, in the cold and wet of winter, watching cars go round in circles, is so uplifting.
There was one day I and my sister were there and mid-afternoon she said "I'll be glad when I've had enough of this.".
One of the last was the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen 1967. It was October: cold and wet.