one push button motor controler

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
l want to make a circuit for a motor but apparently l lack knowledge. l want to continuously push a push button and turn a low-rpm motor in one direction (doesn't matter the direction), and the low-rpm motor will turn until it meets a limit switch and stops even if I keep pushing the button. Now if l let go of the push button and then push it again continuously l want the motor to start turning again until it makes again a full cycle and meet again the limit switch and stops. Is it possible with simple and cheap electronics to make something like that? The motor is a 3.6-volt but it can handle 5 volts easily if l need to use a 5 volt relay for this small amount of time.

thank you in advance.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
If you stop pressing the button before it reaches the limit switch should the motor continue to turn in the same direction until it does finally hit the limit switch?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you mean
1) push a button and then release it sometime before the motor reaches the limit switch
2) the motor runs until it hits the limit switch
3) the motor stops unless the button is still held in
4a) press the button again and the motor starts turning in the same direction as before
- or -
4B) press the button again and the motor turns in the opposite direction.

If steps 1 through 4a is what you want, the solution is simple and only requires a motor, pushbutton and a NC (or SPDT) limit switch. The PB and LS are wired in parallel and placed in series with one of the motor leads.

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
If you stop pressing the button before it reaches the limit switch should the motor continue to turn in the same direction until it does finally hit the limit switch?
No, if l stop pressing the button before the limit switch I want the motor to stop and if l press it again it will continue until reaches the limit switch and then stops, and if l let go the push button and continuously press it, it will start again

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
And what should happen if you release and push the button again while it is moving?
if l let go the button while it is moving the motor stops and when l press again will start again. My first thought is in some way to combine two 5 volt relays and a capacitor but l am not sure

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Do you mean
1) push a button and then release it sometime before the motor reaches the limit switch
2) the motor runs until it hits the limit switch
3) the motor stops unless the button is still held in
4a) press the button again and the motor starts turning in the same direction as before
- or -
4B) press the button again and the motor turns in the opposite direction.

If steps 1 through 4a is what you want, the solution is simple and only requires a motor, pushbutton and a NC (or SPDT) limit switch. The PB and LS are wired in parallel and placed in series with one of the motor leads.
1)push a button and release it sometime AFTER the motor reaches the limit switch
2)when the motor reaches the limit switch the motor stops even if l am still pressing the button
3) and then when nothing is moving anymore l release the button and l press it again continuously the motor starts turning again in the same direction (unless its easier to make it turn in reverse)

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
In stead of keeping us in the dark,
please explain exactly what your project is supposed to do.
Screenshot_2023-04-16-00-58-32-034_com.pinterest.jpgYes of course. I want to build this one but instead of a hand turning want to make it automatic and l said a push button to simplify the project. In reality the push button is a timer switch but because the minimum time l can set is 5 minutes of continuous working l want the limit switch in order to stop the wood wheel in the upper position and after those five minutes the power will stop for six hours (for example). but is the same principle as the push button

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
A picture is a great start,
but it's not obvious what it is used for dispensing, or why.
Does it matter? Its for my cat and It dispenses dry kitten food. The wooden wheel turns grabs food from above and dispenses it on the plate below.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
l want to make a circuit for a motor
Here's my suggestion. When the timer switch closes the motor starts. After a short delay RL1 activates and removes the short across the limit switch. When the motor stops at the limit switch RL1 drops out after the timer switch opens. At this time the limit switch is open but the relay contacts are closed allowing the motor to start at the next timer switch closure.The relay is delayed by the circuit of R1-C1 long enough for the motor to move allowing the limit switch to close again.
1681608818279.png

Last edited:

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Here's the 'relay-logic' schematic.

1.png

Motor 'M' runs when the momentary push button switch 'S1' is kept pressed.

The release of limit switch 'S2' latches relay 'K1'.

'K1' enables relay 'K2' to stop the motor when 'S2' is actuated.

'S1' is to be released and then pressed to start the next cycle.

Nandu.

Last edited:

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Here's my suggestion. When the timer switch closes the motor starts. After a short delay RL1 activates and removes the short across the limit switch. When the motor stops at the limit switch RL1 drops out after the timer switch opens. At this time the limit switch is open but the relay contacts are closed allowing the motor to start at the next timer switch closure.The relay is delayed by the circuit of R1-C1 long enough for the motor to move allowing the limit switch to close again.
View attachment 292253
Thank you. I think l ll try this one because its easier. Actually l dont quite understand how to connect the relay because l think there are 4 pins and also how to connect the limit switch because l dont understand in the circuit if its one or two. And finally can l make the same one using 220 V Ac ?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The relay coil is connected in parallel with the capacitor C1.
The common conection on the relay (Normally marked C on the relay or the datasheet for the relay.) is connected to the top of R1. The normally closed connection on the relay (Normally marked NC on the relay or it's datasheet.) is connected to the motor +. I suggest calculating a value for R1 to 3 volts accros the relay coil. You will have to experiment with the value of the capacitor to not energise the relay yntil the motor has moved away from the limit switch.
Neither circuit will work with AC. The first circuit could be made to work on a higher DC voltage. If you are using a mains timer just plug the 5 volt power supply into the timer output.

Les.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It might be easier to think of this as two functions:

• Directional Control
  • Motion Control

The directional control function decides which way the motor should rotate based on the last time it reached the limit of travel. It will rotate one way until it reaches the limit then reverse. This is independent of whether the motor is being commanded to move at the time. Is is a “state” that is preserved.

The motion control function decides if the motor should be moving or not. It can only command the motor to move and has nothing to do with direction. The motion will continue as long as it receives a signal to move until it reaches the limit. At that point it will cause the motor to stop, regardless of the signal, until the signal is removed and reapplied.

By breaking the two functions apart, you can see things that combining them hides. It is a generally good idea to do this with problems and designs.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Ya’akov, If I understand the way the mechanism works there is no need to reverse the motor. This is my understamding. There is a wooden disk with a semicircular cut out. When the cutout is at the top of it's travel it fills with feed from the hopper. To dispence food it rotates and whem the cutout in the disk reaches the bottom position the food drop into a dish. I think the TS initially planed for it to reverse back to the upper position. It is simpler to let it continue it's rotation past the lower position and stop again at the top. He then just needs a disk on the motor shaft with a notch or bump on it to open the micro switch when the cut out is at the top position.
I use a similar system for an automatic hedgehog feeder. The difference is that this uses an auger type feed and uses a slotted opto sensor to sense the motor rotation. When power is applied it rotates a number of half revolutions which can be adjusted by a DIP switch setting. It then stops until it sees power being re applied.

Les.

Les.