One of my favorite stories.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
SENIOR GREETER

You just have to appreciate this one. Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired...

Charley, a new retiree-greeter, just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

"Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear”.

“Yes sir, I understand your concern and I will try harder”.

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, “I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning late so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin,

"They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir”?

Respect!

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
That is a great story,and true about the company known for greeter's. The

world economy causes this,and how veterans are treated. Twenty year old

managers vs the generation of men being over looked and disrespected. The

good thing the public is fighting the super stores all over the world. Do you have

greeter stores in Norway.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Do you have Walmart stores in Greece. Do you have the U.S. drive thru's fast foods.

In the U.S. as you approach a town or city,the first thing you see is the fast food

drive thru's.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Walmarts: None whatsoever. We have a few large supermarkets, but the stores that sell house appliances, food and tools are separate.

McDonalds rivals with a local fast food chain for the first place, but neither of them are large in drive throughs. I believe there are some out there but I can't name a single store of either chain with a drive through. I think that it has to do with the philosophy of the people, in conjunction with the lack of space. Even the McDonalds stores placed alongside the highway don't have a drive through booth.
Personally, I 'd rather eat my food while stationary.

Do you have Walmart stores in Greece. Do you have the U.S. drive thru's fast foods.

In the U.S. as you approach a town or city,the first thing you see is the fast food

drive thru's.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I don't see how this manager was being disrespectful.

If the guy arrived late, then part of the manager's duty would be to find out why and to rectify this one way or another. Regardless of what you've done in a previous life, you still need to abide by the same rules as others.

Besides, if this was true, then the admiral would know the importance of arriving on time and would not back-chat his boss.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I worked one place that required everyone to be a greeter 1 shift a week. I flat refused! I told the manager do you really want me? Or the hot lil 17 year old girls you hired? Who's gonna make this place look better. I never got asked to be a greeter again.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What's a greeter anyway?

Do businesses sacrifice one employee to stand at the door and say "hi" to the incoming customers?