Older Eagle File Conversion

muttleytm

Joined Oct 2, 2022
I have some .sch and .pro Eagle files that were made for me a few years ago. One used Eagle 8.0.1 and the other 6.5.

Since the time these were designed Eagle was acquired by Autodesk and they have come out with several new versions. The new versions aren't compatible with the older files from what I've experienced and read.

KiCAD and eeSchema should be able to read Eagle files as well, I don't know which versions though, but for me anyway the current Linux versions cannot open the files. I have tried an online viewer by Altrium. It can open and read the v8 file, but not the older one. It doesn't really let me zoom in though, so I can't really follow the schematic.

I can get a free version of Autodesk Eagle. However, I need somehow to get the old files converted to the new format.

I really haven't found any apps online that can read and edit these files or ways or even service to convert them.

I have to think this comes up - a lot

muttleytm

Joined Oct 2, 2022
Thanks, I'd seen the early versions of Eagle, but the list I saw didn't go back that far. I'll also give Easy EDA a try too. Actually I did and was told I already had an account. Well, maybe, but I forgot my password and the reset password wasn't working. That was a day or two ago. I'll give it a try later today or maybe wait till Monday when the regular work week begins.