All those digital audio formats playing in older equipment ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi all.
Is there a DAC converter / adapter to use/accept/select that bunch of USB, WiFi, bluetooth, MP3; also Toslink, AES/EBU, SPDIF... and all the rest of modern audio sources to feed the L, R analog inputs of a plain stereo / multichannel amplifier ? Better if 1U low-profile rack-mount.
Someone close to me does not want to replace a fine-branded older stereo with a chinese sheet to be able to hear modern stuff and wants add-up suggestions.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi all.
Is there a DAC converter / adapter to use/accept/select that bunch of USB, WiFi, bluetooth, MP3; also Toslink, AES/EBU, SPDIF... and all the rest of modern audio sources to feed the L, R analog inputs of a plain stereo / multichannel amplifier ? Better if 1U low-profile rack-mount.
Someone close to me does not want to replace a fine-branded older stereo with a chinese sheet to be able to hear modern stuff and wants add-up suggestions.
Mid to Upper-end Denon receiver as a total older stereo replacement?

Mines from VN not China. ;)
PXL_20220130_013225895 (1).jpg
https://www.denon.com/en-us/category/av-receivers/

The upper-end is still made in Japan.
1699130731394.png

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
AliExpress has a module that includes FM radio, USB, SIM card and auxilliary analog inputs. You will need a 12V power source. The output is analog L/R signals for a power amplifier. I have one and find that it works very well.

FMTuner.jpg

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
AliExpress has a module that includes FM radio, USB, SIM card and auxilliary analog inputs. You will need a 12V power source. The output is analog L/R signals for a power amplifier. I have one and find that it works very well.
Looks like "chinese sheet" to me. :eek:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Call it whatever you like, but I found it to be a very inexpensive, versatile and reliable little unit.
I sure it's fine but the OP has given specifications for country of origin exclusions.

Man, I haven't see one of those ELECROPHONIC boxes since the last one I repaired in the 70's. Those output transistors ran on the ragged edge of self-destruction when the sound level was cranked up.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If he wants to hear stuff from modern media like USB, TF and Bluetooth on his older analog audio amplifier system, he will need something modern to convert those formats into the L/R audio inputs of the stereo. That massive Denon unit must cost a fortune and it is intended for replacement of the older analog audio equipment. That is not what the TS requested information on.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Man, I haven't see one of those ELECROPHONIC boxes since the last one I repaired in the 70's. Those output transistors ran on the ragged edge of self-destruction when the sound level was cranked up.
Some years ago, mine did destroy its self along with a speaker. I re-vamped the power supply and replaced the amplifier board with my own home-made TA7205 board. It still works great.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any Mac made in the last 15 years or so could handle all that and more. In other words, a sub-$50 computer. Look for one with a cracked screen - you barely need it and that flaw will save a bunch. I imagine there are similar solutions in the PC world. But you'll need a bitstream to multi-channel analog converter. My AVR does this and by now would cost next to nothing as well.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks. Yes, I forgot those memory card slots too...
Perhaps a pre-amplifier only would be another route to explore, with inputs as in those images in post #2.

What I dislike from the chinese is the use of microcontrollers to obey a $0.01 tact pushbutton that fails soon, that needs pressing 76 times to move to another radio station or 31 times to raise the volume to desired level or to press it 6 times in a looping selection to reach the wanted input. And if you press it for more than a second, becomes another control. Hard to see, black is the color they must all be, said Mr. Ford a century ago.
Yes, including potentiometers dials and selector switches as in the seventies are 'expensive' in comparison and would not be able to fetch the amount of profits by designing the ultracheap 'tact' button based modern equipment.

1699194014697.png
1699194155575.png

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks. Yes, I forgot those memory card slots too...
Perhaps a pre-amplifier only would be another route to explore, with inputs as in those images in post #2.
That is exactly what I posted in #3. It has all the different modern inputs and also includes an FM tuner. Its output is L/R analog to connect directly to an audio amplifier.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Just as an afterthought, if you want the ability to play all of the modern audio media formats on a traditional amplifier, you have two choices:
1. You can buy an inexpensive unit from China.
2. You can buy an expensive, brand-name unit from Europe or North America, that was made in China.

If you don't want to use Chinese "sheet", you are out of luck!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If he wants to hear stuff from modern media like USB, TF and Bluetooth on his older analog audio amplifier system, he will need something modern to convert those formats into the L/R audio inputs of the stereo. That massive Denon unit must cost a fortune and it is intended for replacement of the older analog audio equipment. That is not what the TS requested information on.
The OP said, no Chinese "sheet", not. I showed possible fine-branded replacement alternatives for a fine-branded older stereo.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think it would be useful to distinguish between the decoding step needed to play various file formats (MP3, now obsolete, AAC, MP4, FLAC, AC3, and many more) and the communication connections (USB, HDMI, Bluetooth, S/PDIF), and finally the desired output capability (7.1 Home theater, plain vanilla stereo, what?). As I mentioned before, any old computer or spent smartphone can probably handle the decoding and would be enough if all you want is stereo. If you want multiple channels at higher quality, the computer-to-HDMI route would be better.

In other words you need to define your specifications before you can properly engineer a solution.