Old Gopher brake/clutch unit

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Hi y'all,
got a 30yo Grant Industries [of South Australia--long defunct] "Gopher" with motor-transaxle unit. [2nd model?] the brake/clutch unit is on the brushed end of the armature and I think it's broken. The clutch is lever operated at that end, and the only wiring is to the switch to disengage the motor when operated. I was driving home when the drive suddenly disengaged. In drive there's a rraazzzz sound, but no drive. in neutral-push it and no sound. I think I've stripped something but I don't know how the thing works mechanically, and I'm unwilling to pull off the brake and examine it blind. The machine is a mix of imperial and metric fasteners(?) and is very crude. I'm hoping I can repair it cheaply, even though it's basically junk, as the chassis is quite servicable and it's adequate for my purposes and budget. I'd like some ideas on how to install an electronic bicycle speedo/odometer onto it to be able to measure how far/fast I've gone. it's not triggering atm on a 1.75" radius for magnet. Wheels are only 4" dia hubs, 10" o'all dia. Mods so far include a tow hitch for a modified bicycle trailer, a desulphator cct, a digital power/current reader with total energy summation and an LED headlight. all advice gratefully recieved, as there's nothing on the web I can find.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Sorted. Unit replaced by Shoprider F-889NR >10yo, according to local records--stored 7 yrs , but works ok. bit slow, but adequate. Tyres are 330x100 4 ply, in fair condition. reas range, >30km one way. seat rocks sideways slightly, not sure why. slow take-off, risky when crossing busy roads. All mods transferred except e-speedo. at least I have it and it goes.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi y'all,
got a 30yo Grant Industries [of South Australia--long defunct] "Gopher" with motor-transaxle unit. [2nd model?] the brake/clutch unit is on the brushed end of the armature and I think it's broken. The clutch is lever operated at that end, and the only wiring is to the switch to disengage the motor when operated. I was driving home when the drive suddenly disengaged. In drive there's a rraazzzz sound, but no drive. in neutral-push it and no sound. I think I've stripped something but I don't know how the thing works mechanically, and I'm unwilling to pull off the brake and examine it blind. The machine is a mix of imperial and metric fasteners(?) and is very crude. I'm hoping I can repair it cheaply, even though it's basically junk, as the chassis is quite servicable and it's adequate for my purposes and budget. I'd like some ideas on how to install an electronic bicycle speedo/odometer onto it to be able to measure how far/fast I've gone. it's not triggering atm on a 1.75" radius for magnet. Wheels are only 4" dia hubs, 10" o'all dia. Mods so far include a tow hitch for a modified bicycle trailer, a desulphator cct, a digital power/current reader with total energy summation and an LED headlight. all advice gratefully recieved, as there's nothing on the web I can find.
I was looking forward to answering this one.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
thanks, but all I have left of the Gopher is transaxle assembly. Seems ok, good brushes--I was able to repair the brake assy with fresh grease and new ball bearings. Sold the rest of it, apart from the mod parts and canopy-kept them for next machine.