Old Dogs

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just got back from taking my 15 year old dog, Buster, for a final vet visit, he didn't come home.

It is hard. I probably waited too long, but he seemed to be enjoying himself to the end. It became obvious that he had cancer, bad, as in stage 4. The doc gave him some prednisone in hopes it would help, but it didn't. Still had an appetite right to the last, but was loosing weight and when I got home from work today he was too weak to get up. Me and my boy put him on a sheet, gave him a drink of water, and carried him out, petting him and talking to him the entire way. It was obvious he was eating the attention up. We kept this up even after he got the injection. He dropped like he had been clubbed, I suspect he was barely hanging on. There is no doubt I did the right thing, but it is hard.

He's going to be one of the people I want to meet when my time comes.
http://tga.sytes.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=114805

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bill,
I'm saddened by the loss of your faithful friend Buster.

It's very hard to say farewell to such a loyal member of the family.

You did the right thing. Allowing a pet to suffer at the end of it's days is just cruel.

When your time is done here, Buster will be waiting for you, with his tail wagging in excitement.

My condolences.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I feel your pain, Bill -- it's a sad day to lose such old friends. You swear you'll never have as good a pet again. Give it time and then consider getting a new dog. He/she will never replace the old one, but you will get a new friend. A good friend of mine had to put down his old dog a week or so ago for the same reason.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Just got back from taking my 15 year old dog, Buster, for a final vet visit, he didn't come home.

It is hard. I probably waited too long, but he seemed to be enjoying himself to the end. It became obvious that he had cancer, bad, as in stage 4. The doc gave him some prednisone in hopes it would help, but it didn't. Still had an appetite right to the last, but was loosing weight and when I got home from work today he was too weak to get up. Me and my boy put him on a sheet, gave him a drink of water, and carried him out, petting him and talking to him the entire way. It was obvious he was eating the attention up. We kept this up even after he got the injection. He dropped like he had been clubbed, I suspect he was barely hanging on. There is no doubt I did the right thing, but it is hard.

He's going to be one of the people I want to meet when my time comes.
My condolences Bill. This is such a difficult thing to do. I had to bring our dog (also 15 years old) in about 5 years ago. I should have brought him in earlier, but I just couldn't do it untill I was sure he had no more happy days left. To this day, if I think of his face as the injection was given, I break down. The time from his relief from pain and his loss of consciousness only lasted about 2 seconds, and in that time his face said "thank you". You definitely did the right thing for him.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sorry for you loss man, just remember the good times. I have 2 lab mixes 1 is 14 the other is 12, so I have been thinking about this for a couple years.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My condolences to you too. I do not have a pet, but losing a loved one is pain full.
Don't doubt yourself, you did the right thing, letting anyone suffer is cruel, even that be an animal.
Rifaa

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Bill,
Sad day.
They look up at us and give us their unconditional love and trust.
I pray Buster's soul is at rest and waiting for you on the other side.

Do you have a photo or two of Buster we can share a memory with?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, This was Buster...

This dog was Lady, she picked us. It was adopt her or send her to pound. She could climb like a monkey, and had been seen more than once balancing on the top of the fence like some kind of goony bird. She died several years ago, I learned the hard lessons about heartworm from her. I chained her down as best I could to keep her in the yard, but she kept breaking the ropes and wire ropes, only chain worked.

This fat cat is Tiger, seen helping to dry Buster after a rain shower. He was raised by Lady as a kitten (she was very maternal). As a kitten when he got carried away with teeth and toenails she'd give him a time out by pinning him between her front paws and cleaning him. The now soaking kitten was totally calmed down, disgusted, and stalking off, which did what she wanted.

Buster always had this routine we called "Guard dog on duty". He'd be laying down when we drive up, then he'd jump up and start barking at whatever, birds, the neighbors dog (who was a buddy but could casually eat him on a size comparison).

My boy (AKA, TheFox on this site) is probably hit a lot harder. He was 5 when we got Buster. I was always amused how close a young boy (even an older one) and a dog agreed on life. Fun, Food, and Mischief, with similar senses of humor. I wound up printing these pictures for him on photographic paper.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

My condolences too Bill.
It is always difficult to have a beloved animal left behind.

As I understand you have still your dog Lady and the cat Tiger.
I think they will also notice the absence of Buster.

We had to leave our old cats at the vet.
We almost immediately got a new cat from the pound.

We now have 5 cats at home 4 from the pound and one taken over from a neigbour.

Greetings,
Bertus

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
My condolences Bill.

Be sure to talk to the boy. They tend to hold in when they should let out.

..my condolences...

Times like these make you remember why cameras are so great.