Old Bando Transformer question

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014

tristanmac72

Joined Jul 26, 2019
Oh right!

Would the device come with (in purple) a cable/wire as from attached actual photo, it seems to have three small black empty slots between top '0' and '230v'.

Or do I connect with (any wire), the purple in top diagram, to the two small contacts pocking out the top?

THEN

for secondary output, I see four contacts at the bottom, names '0', 6v' , '9', '6v' - so do I join them with some wire as follows...
connect both '0', and connect both '6v', then solder the orange output cable (does it matter what way round I connect them?).

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
All these transformers are suitable.
They do not have wires attached, just soldert tags.
They have two separate 6V windings. These can be connected in series or parallel.
In post #64:
If you connect the 6V windings as in the top picture you will get 12V - DO NOT DO THIS.
If you connect them as in the lower picture then you will get 6V but at double the current that a single winding would provide. This is what you need.

tristanmac72

Joined Jul 26, 2019
Hi All,

I have added some colour wires to an image attached.
is this the way I should wire it based on above advice?

Thanks in advance of wiring up...

Attachments

tristanmac72

Joined Jul 26, 2019
Hi there, just tried that and it blew the 800mA 250v fuse (!)

Any idea why that would happen?

Note: I didn't plug in the orange cables to device

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
In your picture you have purple wire shorting out the primary. That is why the fuse blew. The secondary is connected correctly.

Les.

tristanmac72

Joined Jul 26, 2019
oh, I connected after AlbertHall said it was ok, but I assume it was not correct?
what is the way to wire so I can ensure I count blow another fuse or worse!?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
oh, I connected after AlbertHall said it was ok, but I assume it was not correct?
what is the way to wire so I can ensure I count blow another fuse or worse!?
Sorry, I think I must have blown a fuse. The secondary is correct, but you should remove the purple wire on the primary and leave the blue and brown as they are.

tristanmac72

Joined Jul 26, 2019
ok great so remove the purple wire on primary connecting them?
However from the diagram you sent attached, doesn't the primary need a purple connection git, or do I just ignore that?
does it matter what type of cable I use, a the cable I used was quite thick.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
ok great so remove the purple wire on primary connecting them?
However from the diagram you sent attached, doesn't the primary need a purple connection git, or do I just ignore that?
does it matter what type of cable I use, a the cable I used was quite thick.
The transformer you have has a single 230V so no extra wire is required. That is when there two 115V windings which can be wired for 115V or 230V mains. The wire should be a similar size to the original transformer wires, but bigger is fine.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The two drawings in post #77 show a transformer with two 115 volt primary windings. The first picture shows them connected in series for 230 volts input. the second picture shows them connected in parallel for 115 volts input. Your new transformer just has a single 230 volt primary winding.

Les.