Ocean Boating

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've never had my 19' VIP pleasure boat in salt water before, and I've avoided even thinking about it. Now, I'm living in Florida and looking at all that beautiful Atlantic and Indian lagoon water and wishing I could take my boat out into it. Recently, I've discovered, by talking to many here who do exactly what I'm thinking about, that by taking a few percautions, like using good zink anodes and flushing/rinsing after each run, I shouldn't have any real issues using my boat here. Now, that's all I can think about, running back to Alabama and bringing my boat down. The fishing here is purportedly some of the best in the country. People net shrimp in the bays and I've already posted about clam harvesting. Hopefully, I'll be eating good on the beach before too much longer :)

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My boat and jetski were both exclusively used in saltwater when I lived outside the UK. The boat was moored in saltwater year-round and pulled out every year for maintenance, during which, the anodes were changed. The jetski was washed/flushed after every outing and then stored away for the next trip.
May appear to be a little more TLC initially, but when you've got your routine, it's a good way of winding down after your trip.
Next stop, the cooking and you can't beat fresh!
I'm thinking you'll wish you had done it sooner.

Regards.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Mine was a 19ft Bayliner Bowrider with a 3.0L OMC/Cobra Sterndrive, open water cooling. (Yes, I had to change the gears)

It was bought 2nd hand, ran for quite a few years, then sold on prior to my move back to the UK.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
One of the things I've noticed lately, just keeping my eye open. There are 2nd source companies supplying outdrive parts and complete systems for cheap. It's not as expensive to replace parts, and so more chances can be taken.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
When you decide to take your boat into the ocean, you should take a coast guard

safety course. Every fastener in your boat will be tested the first time you go thru

an inlet going into the ocean. You will be tested for the unexpected things of the

ocean. You will learn how I tested myself against the ocean. The ocean is great

and unforgiving. Then you will learn to enjoy fishing the ocean. You will not go too

many times if you fail to clean the salt water from every part of the boat each time.

Each part is a weak point for the next trip, the salt eating from within under the

shine.

Last edited: