obtaining the potential solar energy of an area

numericman

Joined Dec 2, 2011
good day all.Please can anyone tell me how to obtain an estimate of the annual potential solar energy of an area, given the area (in km2) and the average solar radiation (in kWh/m2/day)? The same question also applies to wind energy for a given wind speed and area.please any print,book,journal,links etc with simple solved problems on this questions are highly appreciated.I'm quite new to the world of integrated renewable energy system (IRES) many thanks!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Please can anyone tell me how to obtain an estimate of the annual potential solar energy of an area, given the area (in km2) and the average solar radiation (in kWh/m2/day)?
If you're given the average and the area, just convert the area to sq mtrs, multiply the result by the given average, then multiply that result by 365.

numericman

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Thank you so much.I've just done it! but please in the case of wind energy what i'm i to do? i've just the wind velocity only.how do i estimate the wind power potential of the area? or do i need more information?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
do i need more information?
Yes. To work out the kinetic energy of the wind you need to know also the mass of air moving through the region of interest, which in turn means you need to know the air density (which will vary with pressure and temperature).

numericman

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Very well.but in the expression for wind power I've just seen there's a term "A"-representing area.they keep calling it some swept area of the rotor.in fact they expressed it in terms of diameter to obtain the rotor diameter.how can they be taking about a turbine(at this stage) when i simply want to calculate the wind energy potential of the area. please can you kindly explain to me what the AREA in 1/2ρAV3 represents? i was thinking its the same as the area used for the solar energy calculation.in other words what should be the value of "A" from the formula.thanks a lot

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Power = 0.5 x Swept Area x Air Density x Velocity^3

where Power is given in Watts (i.e. joules/second), the Swept area in square metres, the Air density in kilograms per cubic metre, and the Velocity in metres per second.
Use whatever area you are interested in instead of 'Swept Area'

numericman

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Good day all.with your help i've been able to create an integrated renewable energy system (1RES) linear progamming model using wind,solar,biogas and hydro sources.however my supervisor tells me to include nuclear energy.please what formula can i use in obtaining the nuclear energy potential for a given location.thanks a lot.

Hi,

The main and the big benefit is that after the initial investment, the energy which is harnessed from the solar panels is cost effective and Eco friendly. Another thing is that solar energy does not require any fuel.

----------------------------------------------
Power Plant Development