obd codes

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello,
I was watching ECU Electronic Control Unit in Video
There come new topic obd codes what is this and where it is used?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
OBD codes are automotive sensor or system problems detected by an OBD reader connected to the socket just below the dash, the modern automotive OBD bus sytem is CanBuss system, used to allow the internal computer to communicate with each module in the car.
Max..

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
OK, i got it.

Functions Of An ECU:
Air/fuel mixture control:
It determines the amount of air and fuel entering into the engine and accordingly plans the combustion process by varying the amount of fuel delivered through the Fuel Injectors.

Ignition timing control: There is a certain crank angle in the compression stroke which gives maximum torque output if the air/fuel mix is ignited at that point. ECU decides this and accordingly fires the spark plugs.

Idle speed control: It controls the idle speed of the engine depending on the ambient temperature, engine oil temperature and coolant temperature of an engine. This is the reason that when starting the engine for the first time in the morning, the RPM is more compared to normal idle RPM. This is controlled by the ECU.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Just to help you and to avoid you getting totally confused by the millions of hits your query is likely to return on a google search.

OBD Codes are numeric diagnostic codes which can be retrieved from most modern automotive control units with a suitable code reader connected to a standardised 16 pin socket fitted in the vehicle.
The post 1996 US standard is OBD2 and in Europe the post 2000 standard is EOBD, they are virtually identical.
Most other countries have an equivalent standard.
To facilitate easy code recognition and allow use of cheap universal style code readers all OBD P0xxx codes are standardised across all manufacturers. All Powertrain (engine & transmission) codes are prefixed by P i.e. P0101= Airflow meter circuit range or performance.
In addition vehicle manufacturers may use additional codes P1xxx, P2xxx etc., these codes are not standardised and may have different meanings on different vehicles. They are known as "Manufacturers specific codes".
Codes beginning with Cxxxx and Uxxxx are also quite common and generally related to communication network problems or information shared over such networks eg. vehicle speed signal shared between Engine ECU,. ABS, Power steering and Instruments. These codes are not standard and vary from vehicle to vehicle.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
General Responsibility Assignment Software Patterns

Yes, I have seen some information i have Bike pulsar 180 it would best start to learn.
Is the Microcontroler inside ECU that keep eyes on Engine?

slackguy

Joined Feb 11, 2016
OBD, ODB II, etc

europe sued to force usa to publish their auto chip codes to be "standard", upon which they stole the codes. they have now turned on their demands and promises: their autos dont publish codes are non-standard and they've even begun a campaign to cut USA out of the code reader market (ie, german cars need a german reader)

you need one that does everything (esp trans) but they are expensive. a small reader can only help you with small problems and not as much as the better readers. don't overpay for a name: it's all about what data you get (live) and what you dont, for which model AND truck / rig

end of story: it's a b*(*ch