NZ earthquake 14.11.16

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
More proof that fracking causes earthquakes! :D

On a serious note, few people realize just how much the U.S. military assists in disaster relief all the time all over the world. Not to say that other nations' militaries don't, but I would not be too surprised if the combined efforts of the entire rest of the world didn't match (or at least didn't exceed by too much) the efforts of the U.S. alone. Part of this, of course, merely reflects the high level of capability and opportunity that the U.S. military has.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
More proof that fracking causes earthquakes! :D

On a serious note, few people realize just how much the U.S. military assists in disaster relief all the time all over the world. Not to say that other nations' militaries don't, but I would not be too surprised if the combined efforts of the entire rest of the world didn't match (or at least didn't exceed by too much) the efforts of the U.S. alone. Part of this, of course, merely reflects the high level of capability and opportunity that the U.S. military has.
Absolutely true. Here is a list of where the HSM was awarded for service.
http://prhome.defense.gov/Portals/52/Documents/RFM/MPP/OEPM/docs/HSM Approved Operations - 2015 10 05.pdf

I know it seems strange but some people (Joint Task Force 1–79) were awarded this medal for Operation Eagle Claw (Iranian Hostage Rescue Attempt) 24-25 April 1980 when all the Sailors in the operation received a combat award.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Plus things like certain types of search and rescue that are official duties of the military by international treaty.
Most of the guys who got the HMS award carried refugees to official camps in Thailand or the Philippines. In our case we spotted several boats off the coast of Cambodia/Vietnam 79-80 where some were attacked by pirates, the people inside killed (including children) and the boats burned to the waterline that we sunk as hazards to navigation with machine-gun fire and rockets. The others we saw floating were inspected for seaworthiness and given fuel, food and water. We were then told to notify the UN or whomever was in charge about them and moved on to where we were headed without picking up anyone due to the nature of our mission. So I guess we did our official duties but I still wonder sometimes about what happened to those people we left behind.