Novice: Aquarium Lighting using 25 3.6V/700mA LEDS to a 12V adaptor

John Lucino

Joined May 9, 2017
Good day to all!

I'm really a novice but i'm willing to listen to any advice on how to get this project done. I'm working on my aquarium, a nano reef actually and needs to have a good light. i got these leds a sold to a cheap price. I would like to ask if anyone knows how to make a circuitry out of these to make it to a 12V adapter.

Thank you so much.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC.

Aquarium light needs to be of specific wavelength.
Can you tell us the model of the LEDs.
How many LEDs do you prefer in the aquarium ?

John Lucino

Joined May 9, 2017
Hi! Thank you. I'm really glad you replied!

Actually, I bought a driver before, a Meanwell 100W 700mA +143V driver. I had built a DYI lighting but badluck came, when fire burn thru our neighborhood. I want to DYI a cheap lighting without using a driver to save.

Well, the seller says its a high power leds:
3W
700mA
Red 2.6-2.8V
UV, Blue, Royal Blue and White 3.4-3.6V

Morelikely a cree led manufacture in China, i dont have the labels. I've tested these leds on my previous set-up and it were really bright. I also got lens on the leds though it were sold seperately.

I wanted to build a 20 gallon nano tank with dimensions 24L x 12W x 16H. I really appreciate your reply and help sir.
thank you so much

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
There are two options.
1. Drive the LED with an appropriate resistor in series.
2. Use a CC LED driver.

The first choice is cheap. Uses high power resistors, so in-efficient as heat is lost in the resistor, LED brightness depends on the resistor
The second choice is difficult but very efficient, dim-able solution. But is expensive than the first choice.

What is your power source ? An adapter or transformer ?

John Lucino

Joined May 9, 2017
Thank you for the reply again sir

I think i'm choosing the 1st option sir. Using resistor in series. Buying a driver is costly for me. Also, I likely to use a adapter for this project sir.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is the adapter you want to use stabelized?
What is the maximum current or power of the adapter?

Bertus

John Lucino

Joined May 9, 2017
Hi sir! Thank you for the reply!

At this moment, i don't have any idea what current and power of adapter i will use. I guess it will depend on the circuit that will be made. All i have now are LEDs and lens though. 34 of it. xD.

I don't know. Maybe a 12v or 24v adapter. It depends on the circuit plan really. I've waiting for someone to help me plan a circuitry. xD

I appreciate the reply sir. Thank you so much. Please don't hesitate to share your ideas. im really glad someone took notice. ^^:);)