notebook battery repair

awais mughal

Joined Jan 31, 2015
hello i have hp elitebook 6930p my laptop battery timing is about one hour i replace battery cell inside 18650 10000 mah capacity but i run my system the timing of battery is same as one hour i calibrate it but not changing also small red cross appear on the battery icon system tray beginning and after any one find this solution
my old battery cell have 4400 mah how can charging timing increase or battery timing increase.............please reply

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
hokay.

you got about an hour out of the original battery, replacement battery is having same problem.

i've found the same problem with 3rd party replacement batteries.

manufacturers like to use their own batteries, not 3rd party ones. ibm/lenovo specifically do that, they say the battery is non genuine when the laptop/notepad starts up, sometimes it will charge it, other times it will not and put the red cross on the battery icon.

getting an original battery would be your best option. charging a higher capacity battery than original may cause damage to the laptop/notepad using it.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
hello i have hp elitebook 6930p my laptop battery timing is about one hour i replace battery cell inside 18650 10000 mah capacity but i run my system the timing of battery is same as one hour i calibrate it but not changing also small red cross appear on the battery icon system tray beginning and after any one find this solution
my old battery cell have 4400 mah how can charging timing increase or battery timing increase.............please reply

Hi Awais,

I think that because the cells are lithium and a little prone to fires when charging, there is a protection circuit. When removing the faulty cell the protection circuit must always have a voltage, so the gap must be bridged while changing it. (I'm no expert!)

Best to buy a legitimate battery for safety.

Camerart.

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Most laptop batteries have an onboard microcontroller that does all the charge regulation. AFAIK they also have dedicated memory to store information about the battery, and can communicate with the motherboard.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Y
Most laptop batteries have an onboard microcontroller that does all the charge regulation. AFAIK they also have dedicated memory to store information about the battery, and can communicate with the motherboard.
Hi Lurk',

Yes, this is what I am eluding to, this microcontroller must be kept alive by keeping connected while changing cells.

Camerart.