NOT Logic IC

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
If you're just looking for a part number, here's a datasheet for a CMOS inverter that has been tested up to 50MHz and, according to TI, maintains "excellent signal integrity." It's TI's SN74LV1T04 chip, intended for a wide range of input voltages (which is why it's referred to as a "level shifter" - it's intended to connect or interface between devices that operate at different voltage levels).

Just as a head's up, that particular component is SMD-only, so if you intend on breadboarding this, you'll have to find a different component (though prototyping breadboards can't typically handle more than 10MHz anyway).

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
If you need to breadboard you can also use a breakout board, like this one (double check this is the right one for the chip @ZCochran98 suggested): https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Chip-Quik/PA0088?qs=gjT6naH6P5IUU/qib3vi8g==
I was going to recommend something like this myself for use with the chip, but I couldn't, for the life of me, remember what the "SMD-to-DIP adapter" was "officially" called. Turns out it's hard to search for something when you can't remember what it's referred to in a catalogue....

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I was going to recommend something like this myself for use with the chip, but I couldn't, for the life of me, remember what the "SMD-to-DIP adapter" was "officially" called. Turns out it's hard to search for something when you can't remember what it's referred to in a catalogue....
I know exactly what you mean, sometimes it's difficult to google something when you can't remember the magic key word! I just remember that Proto Advantage makes tons of these little adapters, so I just start there. :)

Tarek1266

Joined Oct 18, 2019
If you're just looking for a part number, here's a datasheet for a CMOS inverter that has been tested up to 50MHz and, according to TI, maintains "excellent signal integrity." It's TI's SN74LV1T04 chip, intended for a wide range of input voltages (which is why it's referred to as a "level shifter" - it's intended to connect or interface between devices that operate at different voltage levels).

Just as a head's up, that particular component is SMD-only, so if you intend on breadboarding this, you'll have to find a different component (though prototyping breadboards can't typically handle more than 10MHz anyway).
Can you recommend other ICs as this one is not available for me ?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The 7404 is at least 50 years old, has a high current input-low that many products cannot drive and has a low current output-high that cannot drive an LED and many more things.
A more modern 74HC04 does not have any of those problems.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
. . . depending on your output signal shape/waveform requirements you likely would like to have a near similar TPHL/TPLH times ... depending what you use your signal further on (edge timing , clock skew) you likely would have better ratio than 1:1:1:1 transition:high:transition:low -- that would be 5ns each for 50MHz . . . speaking of op-amp or comparator the SR should be 3.3V / 5V 660V/µs / 1000V/µs -- goes to expensive side (i guess) . . .

. . . there are more , that's for starting

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Which Arduino ?
there are two different voltage outputs used on arduino, 3v3 or 5v.
you need to know which to get the right SI.

What speed ? You say 50 Mhz, 20ns, can the arduino toggle its outputs that fast ?

How far are you driving the output of the invertor ?
50 MHz, is well up into the radio area, You can not expect to drive to long a line at 50 MHz, without some special care.