Not good News for the Maldives, et-al.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
there is also annual temperature decrease... seem to coincide with planet tilt relative to our nearest star. some call it season. there is also a smaller change that corelates to planet rotation about own axis but effect is not that great near poles. the world is always changing but it is not always in the same direction. things swing back and forth. there were several ice ages in the past. if the temperatures were only increasing that would not be possible. there is an interesting finding from drilling core samples at Greenland. not much change in last 10000 years but quite big trend change before that.

on the other hand i must have survived at least dozen or so of predicted "end of the world" and that is just in one very short human lifetime. we have been measuring and recording temperature for not much longer. any real record accuracy is much more recent and a lot of data is intentionally fudged to compensate for urban microclimate etc. so basing long term predictions on some short and possibly questionable data set is likely not very accurate.
on one hand we have "unprecedented draughts" exposing roman forts and sunken WWII ships. on the other hand there is panic about rising global sea level by possibly several feet.

frankly i try to live in the moment and stay positive. those couple of feet of higher water level would still mean same distance to travel to the nearest coast. the global sea level would need to rise about 600ft for me to really notice. that is two orders of magnitude so few feet are not really a concern. but i would not mind couple of degrees warmer weather. and how is to say that increased water level would not be something humans would enjoy and exploit? see what Netherland did with shallow sea? They are the agricultural superpower. and what about shorter shipping routes? cheaper gas, plus helping bring all the Chinese products? even my PCB would be here quicker and cost less.

and jokes aside, yes there would be people to suffer from this but humans are always able to adapt. we outcompeted everyone and everything else. and even if humans get "cornered" who is to say that planet including all flora and fauna would not be better off?

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
those couple of feet of higher water level would still mean same distance to travel to nearest coast. the global sea level would need to rise about 600ft for me to notice.
So as long as the rising sea level doesn't directly affect you, but only the millions that live near the coast, it's none of your concern?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
it is their choice to live by the water. they are welcome to move... but i think they like it there. if they were concerned about sea level, they would live in the mountains or build dikes... who helped Dutch build their dikes? did Dutch sit down and cry? No... they realized they have a problem and decided to do something about it.

and stop shaming people for things that are out of their control. how how exactly is 'sympathy' supposed to help anyway? what exactly can i do to stop some massive glacier from melting?

btw. i don't see them doing anything or giving rats ass about me and others shovelling show every winter. until they start showing that they care about our little climate problems, i do not see why should I care about theirs.

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i can make my own movies.
worried about warm blue water? come and enjoy some ice and snow...
and this is not 2ft of calamity over 50 years. here 2ft happen in a day.
every times it snows there are 500 car accidents in Toronto alone. people die every year.
how many people in Maldives have died because of possibility that glacier is melting down?
1663174566364.png
1663175116086.png

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
and stop shaming people for things that are out of their control. how how exactly is 'sympathy' supposed to help anyway?
"Sympathy" is not for help, it just shows compassion.
until they start showing that they care about our little climate problems, i do not see why should I care about theirs.
What a refreshing attitude. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i am not wishing harm to anyone... and i am not saying this is not a problem.
of course it is a problem... but...

a) this is a problem that can be dealt with even if i am not biting my nails or having nightmares about it.
b) each of the previous alarmist apocalyptical predictions so far was wrong. planet is still here. sun is shining....
c) each of the alarmist and apocalyptical predictions was always associated with huge cost.
d) i have more pressing issues to look after.

so if this is a problem, deal with it... built a dike, start raising buildings, wrap the glacier into reflective foil, dig channels to divert any present meltwaters... do something. i can start sympathizing when i see effort and so far i do not really see it.

Last edited:

300-3056

Joined Sep 9, 2022
Easiest thing to do in a warming flooding world is move the higher ground and cooler ground.
I say this because the smartest thing to do is stop causing the earth to warm up in an unnatural manner.
But that's hard to do
Short term, blame others ( pick a minority group) for being alarmists.
Long term build walls to keep out anyone moving to higher cooler ground.

Right now business as usual nothing to see here folks move on...

I like this.
" every times it snows there are 500 car accidents in Toronto alone. "
Slow down, better yet stay off the roads when there is a major snow storm.
Your job ain't worth your life...

Also do you have snow tyres?
If not there are other traction device options you can attach to your tyres to prevent accidental loss of control in addition to driving slow.
Yes you can drive 120km on the QEW in the summer, but not in a snow storm.

Do you know what they do in Timmins or Hearst when it snows?
They let it....
Drive accordingly on studded snow tyres.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Easiest thing to do in a warming flooding world is move the higher ground and cooler ground.
I say this because the smartest thing to do is stop causing the earth to warm up in an unnatural manner.
But that's hard to do
Short term, blame others ( pick a minority group) for being alarmists.
Long term build walls to keep out anyone moving to higher cooler ground.

Right now business as usual nothing to see here folks move on...

I like this.

If not there are other traction device options you can attach to your tyres to prevent accidental loss of control in addition to driving slow.

Do you know what they do in Timmins or Hearst when it snows?
They let it....
Drive accordingly on studded snow tyres.
It's so refreshing to have the smartest person also be the most self-centered person in our presence.

300-3056

Joined Sep 9, 2022
It's so refreshing to have the smartest person also be the most self-centered person in our presence.
Well I am not that smart I know, and I actually lose sleep over a lot of this issues.
And I am a smart arse....
Not only does that not help the situation but its a guaranty you will be ignore you when your start to yell about how deeply fooked up we are.

While people worry about what is not yet happening in someplace like the Maldives its is actually happening right now in Pakistan with half the country under water.
That hardly makes a ripple.
A major western first world city has to be destroyed with thousands homeless before we really snap to attention.
New Orleans was believe it or not simply to easy to ignore

And DEVO was right about everything.

I don't take the part back about the Toronto drivers.
They drive too fast.

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
I like this.
and i agree... btw statement was not about "major" snow storm. it is describing situation every time it snows... it is enough to snow 10-15mm and roads are mess.

No, not personally... i find them uncomfortable... but my cars of course have them.

One can drive fast in any weather, just not for long...

Drive accordingly
yes, or better stay put.

... on studded snow tyres.
actually they are not allowed here. one can have them in northern parts of the province.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
nope:
https://tirecraft.com/resources/can-use-studded-tires-canada/

I actually lose sleep over a lot of this issues.
been there, done that and eventually decided to take more relaxed approach - i needed sleep, worrying about everything was only stressing me and still was not going to help anyone.

Before moving to Canada, I lived in St. Louis. I recall disasters like Chernobyl accident and thought such nightmare can only happen in far places. I thought Love Canal was absolutely horrible but it was still "far away" and more of an exception... But i was ill informed. Then by accident i found about West Lake Landfill. I was totally blown away, started researching and have literally found horror stories everywhere. Just lookup CERCLA or Superfund sites.

There are thousands of toxic sites. Places like that affect much greater number of people, for much longer and much more severely... Cancer, death, birth defects... Not to take away from Maldives problem but ... there are people right now, that live with radioactive or toxic waste in their backyard. If we want to do some major project and make this planet livable for the next generation, we need to address such places and fast. Compared to that, sea level that is slowly rising couple of feet in the next decades in places already known as being splash paradise looks pretty low key.
So movie poster showing a person ankle deep in and beautiful blue sea looks more like something from a tourist ad.
You want to see a movie about pain and suffering, check this out.

So if someone still wants to judge me, go ahead...

Last edited:

Halfpint786

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I really hope all the ice melts... And I am not saying that to be an ass. It has happened many times without human help, so to think we can stop it is absolutely laughable. What is even more laughable about global warming is how people do the math and think "OMG, everything will be under water overnight without any warning whatsoever, so many people will die". You know who does care though? All the filthy rich people with freshwater swimming pools on that temporary island called Bermuda (have you checked it out on google earth lately?).

If you made the decision to ignore planetary history and invest in wet ground, hurricane-prone areas, or on seismic faults, well, what do you expect me to say??? If we stopped 100% of carbon emissions by tomorrow, what difference would it make? None. There will still be droughts and subsequent forest fires from lightning strikes, and geology's volcanic zones dumping gigatons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.

You see, humanity made the mistake of using the pre-industrial CO2 levels as a "from now on" baseline, and unfortunately, those levels were at an extremely low point in planetary history, not the average CO2 level. But you aren't explained that in school as the priority of schools today is to make you to feel comfortable chopping off your wiener while they push you through with failing grades so they look good statistically while retaining government funding.

If you think global warming will kill people, you should take a moment to think it through for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.