Breaking news from the Maldives

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Wow I remember when I was 3 and saw it for the firsttime. Ours is a nice green though not blue. Whats fun is snook fishing in it at night or wake boarding at night in it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have always seen it green or eventually whitish.

At sea, I run across of a great variety of that effect which is quite common in warm sea waters:

Just the crest of the waves in dark hours. Even here at the River Plate (Río de la Plata) I have seen that. We had brackish water at the moment because of the flowing tide.

There are also, brilliant "cords" running along the hull of the vessel as she moves ahead, sometimes, up to three or four of them on each side. They happen at mid-depth, well against the hull, never near the surface.

Kind of luminous "explosions" as the vessel crosses the area. Impressive because of the size of each one.

Millions of steady luminous points or thousands of "bulbous" areas with steady luminosity. That makes for the effect you see in the picture

The most impressive I had the chance to see when I was at the bridge during my watch as 2nd mate: a whole area much much bigger than the vessel with water showing an (almost white) intense homogeneous luminosity. At the moment she was completely in, you could not tell where the water surface was so she seemed to be (no pun intended) floating in the air. A very unpleasant effect that lasted for about a minute, I guess.

This last occurred in the area that you know as "Bermuda triangle".

Final note: in the vessels that do not use fresh water for that, go down to your cabin, and with the lights off, get your own simple personal show: flush the toilet. :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey ..that is natural.
It's plankton of some sort.

I still see them when I travel during midnight. They appear as the wave breaks against the boat hull.

There is a funny story that rumored long time ago about these things appearing.
U would not believe that the story includes virgins and a typical monster that appears at midnight to yummy the virgins

It was during when the sultans rule. The heading may appear like "Rannamari" or something like tht.

I had to take a lotta time off to write it and remember it properly.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
This is what passes for news among them....
Well Bill, we are a science loving group. You try to make a good point and we all are mesmerized and distracted by the fluorescence. :p

See how good we are by not talking about the touchy subject? I get it though. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Acutally ours is jellyfish sperm. I'm sure its caused by different things around the world but here its during jellyfish mating season. Plankton might be involved somehow but I know the source here is jellyfish.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have always seen it green or eventually whitish.

At sea, I run across of a great variety of that effect which is quite common in warm sea waters:

Just the crest of the waves in dark hours. Even here at the River Plate (Río de la Plata) I have seen that. We had brackish water at the moment because of the flowing tide.

There are also, brilliant "cords" running along the hull of the vessel as she moves ahead, sometimes, up to three or four of them on each side. They happen at mid-depth, well against the hull, never near the surface.

Kind of luminous "explosions" as the vessel crosses the area. Impressive because of the size of each one.

Millions of steady luminous points or thousands of "bulbous" areas with steady luminosity. That makes for the effect you see in the picture

The most impressive I had the chance to see when I was at the bridge during my watch as 2nd mate: a whole area much much bigger than the vessel with water showing an (almost white) intense homogeneous luminosity. At the moment she was completely in, you could not tell where the water surface was so she seemed to be (no pun intended) floating in the air. A very unpleasant effect that lasted for about a minute, I guess.

This last occurred in the area that you know as "Bermuda triangle".

Final note: in the vessels that do not use fresh water for that, go down to your cabin, and with the lights off, get your own simple personal show: flush the toilet. :)
Green or whiteish in the Caribbean too. Impressive but I would love to see that blue. It must be awesome.

Funny a friend of mine likes to flush the head too to see them.

I prefer to dive. When you go just slightly over the bottom, you can imagine yourself flying miles above the earth with the blinking lights of the city below. :)

A very good friend of mine had a boat on Río de la Plata. Her mom and sister still live in Argentina. I think it is Buenos Aires. Her heritage is Italian. Same for you judging by your user name?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Green or whiteish in the Caribbean too. Impressive but I would love to see that blue. It must be awesome.

Funny a friend of mine likes to flush the head too to see them.

I prefer to dive. When you go just slightly over the bottom, you can imagine yourself flying miles above the earth with the blinking lights of the city below. :)

A very good friend of mine had a boat on Río de la Plata. Her mom and sister still live in Argentina. I think it is Buenos Aires. Her heritage is Italian. Same for you judging by your user name?
Remember many of these photographers take liberty with filters and color balances especially at night. I imagine there fosflourescense is the same as ours except their photo guy ran a filter on it, or the water is actually a blue tint causing it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
lol. I think the point of this thread was satire, like "The Maldives is in the middle of unprecedented civil unrest and the only thing we hear about from our 'media' is damn glowing jellyfish"

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
lol. I think the point of this thread was satire, like "The Maldives is in the middle of unprecedented civil unrest and the only thing we hear about from our 'media' is damn glowing jellyfish"
Yeah I think we all got it but it sure is nice to forget about the real world for a while.

I guess even in paradise you can have turmoil. I guess it is just nice to think of paradise as just that once in a while, nothing but beauty everywhere. Even if it isn't true. :(

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Her heritage is Italian. Same for you judging by your user name?
Yes, Italian grandfather, French grandmother. The other two were local but not too far from their European ancestors (Spaniards & Italians again).

Italian immigration was prevalent in the last two centuries until around 1950.