Noob looking for help, to build a quadruped using an arduino nano

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
First I’d like to say that I’m new to the hobby and have no electronics education so please forgive me if I ask any obvious dumb questions. My issue is that I’m trying to build a quadruped using an arduino nano and when I turn on the power everything powers up except the wemos d1 mini. It powers up separately if I use the mini USB port. I’ve checked the dc down converter to make sure it’s bringing down the voltage to 5v so I am clueless on what to check to troubleshoot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Start by drawing as much of your circuits out on paper as you can. We have no idea what you have wired up so you will need it to help us help you, plus having to work your way through it to draw it just might help you figure it out.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I agree with MrSoftware!
  1. How are you powering the Nano?
  2. What is a wemos d1 mini?
  3. How are you powering that?
  4. How much current does it require?
  5. What are you using to move the legs?
  6. How are you powering those motors/servos?
This is why we need a diagram. Thanks for putting one together. Use the “Attach files” button to add your pictures.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I am clueless on what to check to troubleshoot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Draw us a block diagram of how you have things connected, what the current draw is for each module, and what current the power supply is rated for.

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
Start by drawing as much of your circuits out on paper as you can. We have no idea what you have wired up so you will need it to help us help you, plus having to work your way through it to draw it just might help you figure it out.
DF505F22-E107-478C-B772-C9EA0931241F.jpeg
This is the wiring diagram that I used to wire my components. I’m using a 3s 11.1v lipo battery in case that helps.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And... what are the current requirements of the modules? Particularly the WeMos d1 Mini. And what the heck does that module do?

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
And... what are the current requirements of the modules? Particularly the WeMos d1 Mini. And what the heck does that module do?
the wemos takes 5v and I can power it up if I plug it into my raspberry pi or wall outlet, it’s a WiFi module that will allow me to control the quadruped using WiFi.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Try these steps. (1) Disconnect everything except the power wires from the wemos, does it power up now? (2) With everything wired normally and powered up, put your volt meter on the output to your 5V regulator. Are you getting 5V output or something less than 5v?

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
Try these steps. (1) Disconnect everything except the power wires from the wemos, does it power up now? (2) With everything wired normally and powered up, put your volt meter on the output to your 5V regulator. Are you getting 5V output or something less than 5v?
mill try number 1 tomorrow and let you know, I already tried number 2 and it reads 27v on the inputs and 5v on the output on the dc step down converter.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If your 5v supply is giving 5V even with everything on, then step (1) should make a difference. Think about exactly what all is connected when it does power up, and what is connected when it doesn't. The difference will lead you to your answer, even if it doesn't make sense at first.

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
If your 5v supply is giving 5V even with everything on, then step (1) should make a difference. Think about exactly what all is connected when it does power up, and what is connected when it doesn't. The difference will lead you to your answer, even if it doesn't make sense at first.
065AEFAF-EAB5-431E-A688-3848B348C6BF.jpeg
So I did what you said and removed everything and it still didn’t power up even though the output read 5v so I started adjusting the knob on the dc converter as was able to get it to power up when I set it to 5.4v so now at least I found the issue. Appreciate all the help!!! Thank you! Now just have to solder everything back and pray it still works lol

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
View attachment 219804
So I did what you said and removed everything and it still didn’t power up even though the output read 5v so I started adjusting the knob on the dc converter as was able to get it to power up when I set it to 5.4v so now at least I found the issue. Appreciate all the help!!! Thank you! Now just have to solder everything back and pray it still works lol

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
So I soldered everything back and it’s not turning on again once I plugged in the 12 servos. Will I risk burning any of the components if I adjust the power too high on the converter?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So I soldered everything back and it’s not turning on again once I plugged in the 12 servos. Will I risk burning any of the components if I adjust the power too high on the converter?
That’s why I keep asking for the current required for each module. Besides voltage, a module needs current. You BEC modules can supply only so much current. If the total current needed by everything attached is greater than the supply, the voltage will drop and things won’t run.

The 3A from the UBEC seems low to me. I have a project with 11 servos (you have 12). And my power supply can provide 10A. Servos can take almost 1A apiece... 3A available may not be enough.

You can check for yourself by adding up the individual current requirements and comparing it to the total current available. You haven’t been able to supply the individual current requirements, so we are having trouble helping you.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry for coming late to the party.
Welcome to AAC!
I am not trying to be a party pooper but you need to know about some forum etiquette, in particular, you need a better thread title than "Noob looking for help". Every second new member to AAC is a "Noob looking for help". It would be much better to have a title that is related to the thread, for example, "wemos d1 mini not powering up".

Moe09

Joined Oct 16, 2020
I am truly sorry for the bad thread title and not being able to supply enough information. Can you please tell me how I can tell the required current? Again I’m sorry but this is my first project and I’m trying to learn as I go.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am truly sorry for the bad thread title and not being able to supply enough information. Can you please tell me how I can tell the required current? Again I’m sorry but this is my first project and I’m trying to learn as I go.
The current required should be on the datasheet. So you can tell by reading the datasheet. Datasheets are your friend. They contain all the information you need to use a component or module.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Get a piece of paper and write down the names of each of the things that you're powering (wemos, arduino, ...). Look at the data sheet for each thing and get both the minimum and the maximum operating voltage. Not the absolute min and max values, but the normal range values. Write those values down on the paper. Now figure out the highest minimum value on the list, and the lowest maximum value on the list. Keep your voltage between these two values and you will be OK.

Since your wemos doesn't turn on until 5.4v, I suspect the datasheet will tell you that it's minimum is something higher than 5.4v.