Non oscillating oscillators at 1 mhz

Antsy electron

Joined Dec 27, 2022
Look at the figure below , it says for frequencies from 1 to 5 mHz . I put a 4 mHz xtal and even an 8 mHz xtal and it oscillated perfectly ( nothing more beautiful that looking at oscillations in a scope ) . I just bought a 1 mHz for $ 7.00 ( Amazon doesn't have 1 mhz xtals ) and it doesn't oscillate . Does some crystals needs specific connection ?. The diagram says from 1 to 5 mHz.

Screenshot_20230116-171338.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You, of course mean MHz (mega-Hertz), not mHz (milli-Hertz). :)

Yes, some crystals require a different load impedance than others, for proper oscillation.
The spec for the crystal should state that.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
How do you know that it doesn't oscillate? Connecting your scope directly to this circuit may cause it to stall. You should have a small output amplifier to insure your scope or any downstream load doesn't interfere with your oscillator circuit.

Antsy electron

Joined Dec 27, 2022
How do you know that it doesn't oscillate? Connecting your scope directly to this circuit may cause it to stall. You should have a small output amplifier to insure your scope or any downstream load doesn't interfere with your oscillator circuit.
I am using a X10 probe.

Antsy electron

Joined Dec 27, 2022
You, of course mean MHz (mega-Hertz), not mHz (milli-Hertz). :)

Yes, some crystals require a different load impedance than others, for proper oscillation.
The spec for the crystal should state that.
Well it says 13 pF load. Now I realize that I have to replace the 100pf cap for 13 one. Would that solve the issue ?.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If you're doing this on a breadboard, you'll not have much luck because of all the capacitance of the breadboard.
Try on Vero board or perf-board and lay it out well with short connections if possible.