Nominal Frequency range of Crystals

oguzhanmemishw

Joined Apr 19, 2024
hello everyone

i need a 32 mhz cyrstal on my circuit. Attach the datasheet of the crystal I want to use
i also add.

When I examine the datasheet, I see the nominal frequency data. This has the phrase 16-54 or 96 Mhz. Here's how to configure this crystal in 32mhz. How to detect my frequency. I'm doing research on this. Does anyone have any information about this?

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

The purpose of a crystal resonator is to provide a stable frequency standard. You can’t “configure” it, a quartz crystal (or any other piezo-based oscillator) produces the frequency it is cut for when properly excited and that’s it.

1713520640896.jpeg

What you do is order the frequency you want. The datasheet isn’t saying the resonator operates in that range, it is saying they offer versions on various standard frequencies in the range.

What do you intend to use it for?

oguzhanmemishw

Joined Apr 19, 2024
Welcome to AAC.

The purpose of a crystal resonator is to provide a stable frequency standard. You can’t “configure” it, a quartz crystal (or any other piezo-based oscillator) produces the frequency it is cut for when properly excited and that’s it.

What you do is order the frequency you want. The datasheet isn’t saying the resonator operates in that range, it is saying they offer versions on various standard frequencies in the range.

What do you intend to use it for?
Thank you for answer. I use nrf52810 MCU from nordic. The mcu needs 32 mhz external clock for operate its clock operations.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you for answer. I use nrf52810 MCU from nordic. The mcu needs 32 mhz external clock for operate its clock operations.
As I suspected, the datasheet calls for a 32.768MHz crystal. This is because 32,768 (\( \mathsf{2^{15}} \))is easily divided down to 1 with a 15 stage binary counter and this means the clock frequency can easily be used to get 1KHz—1000ms, or 1s for timekeeping operations.

I see many cheap boards that are using 32.0MHz, probably because they got it cheaper and don’t care about clock time. But you won’t find one cheaper.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
96/32 = 3. Not hard to do unless you need a symmetric clock, and I remember seeing one of those once.

Or, you might try something like one of these:
https://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=005701128
https://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=005700978
https://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=090000134

If you are concerned about ordering internationally I can get some to you but the mail (from S.E. Asia) might take a couple of weeks. These are really inexpensive.
The datasheet calls for the 32.768MHz crystal, and they are readily available for no more than 32.0MHz—why not use the one Nordic calls for?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
hello everyone

i need a 32 mhz cyrstal on my circuit. Attach the datasheet of the crystal I want to use
i also add.

When I examine the datasheet, I see the nominal frequency data. This has the phrase 16-54 or 96 Mhz. Here's how to configure this crystal in 32mhz. How to detect my frequency. I'm doing research on this. Does anyone have any information about this?
Why can't people be more careful with their units?
There is no such thing as 32 mhz.
hz does not exist. It is Hz.
Also, you will not find a 32 mHz crystal. The proper value is 32 MHz.

oguzhanmemishw

Joined Apr 19, 2024
Why can't people be more careful with their units?
There is no such thing as 32 mhz.
hz does not exist. It is Hz.
Also, you will not find a 32 mHz crystal. The proper value is 32 MHz.
this is a forum. I'm coming to find out what I don't know. I don't think this is a place to be an artist. I invite you to be a little more polite. if you tell it like a human, we will understand. you have no right to despise people or humiliate them here.

oguzhanmemishw

Joined Apr 19, 2024
They're the ones who don't know what they're talking about.
this is a forum. I'm coming to find out what I don't know. I don't think this is a place to be an artist. I invite you to be a little more polite. if you tell it like a human, we will understand. you have no right to despise people or humiliate them here.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You’d want a doctor who can get milligrams and micrograms correct when prescribing your medication, wouldn’t you?
Wasn‘t the reason one of the space probes crashed into Mars because somebody got the units wrong?
I wonder how may renewable energy projects get screwed up because people confuse power units (kW) with energy units(kWh).
Units are important. Getting them wrong causes errors, sometimes big errors.

oguzhanmemishw

Joined Apr 19, 2024
You’d want a doctor who can get milligrams and micrograms correct when prescribing your medication, wouldn’t you?
Wasn‘t the reason one of the space probes crashed into Mars because somebody got the units wrong?
I wonder how may renewable energy projects get screwed up because people confuse power units (kW) with energy units(kWh).
Units are important. Getting them wrong causes errors, sometimes big errors.
When this is said with an appropriate manner, I understand that I am missing and I will pay attention to it in my next process.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
When this is said with an appropriate manner, I understand that I am missing and I will pay attention to it in my next process.
Don’t assume people are being rude if they correct your units! They are being helpful, so that you don’t make those mistakes.
I live in Britain, and I travel to France from time to time, and I can speak French with some proficiency. When I speak to the French in French, they will correct my grammar. They are famous for it, and a lot of people find it irritating.
When I was working with a translator, translating user manuals, I asked about it, and she told me that the French really appreciate my attempts to speak to them in their language, they know that I have taken the trouble to study it, and they would like to help me to improve - they are not being critical whatsoever.

Units are the language of electronics!

Last edited: