No voltage from PID terminal, despite indicating "OUT"

KKAMIN

Joined Sep 23, 2017
Hello there. I'm new to PIDs. I'm working on making a reactor keep a constant temperature, so the loop I'm looking to build is a simple thermocouple, controller, heating mantle loop. I'm using a Novus N1200 controlled to do this. I have been able to power the PID and get a temperature reading thus far. When trying to get power on the output terminals however, I haven't had any success there. I am using I/O2 to directly power a light bulb at the moment since I don't have the heating mantle available to me. The reading on the display indicates output via the "OUT" light, and it will turn on and off as expected when the target temperature is reached if I hold the thermcouple in my hand, but there's no voltage to the outputs despite I/O2 being set to "cntl" (Side question: if the I/O is set to alarm should it at in the same manner?) I've also checked for continuity on the I/O2 pins and have determined they are continuous which to me would indicate there should be something coming through these terminals to power the light. Currently I am wired directly to the light without relay, its an LED light that takes 6 watts, so only pulling 0.05A. That all being said, what am I missing here?
My current wiring:
NOVUS3.png

novus2.JPG

Pinout for the PID:

novus.JPG

If the wiring makes sense, its likely a programming issue with the PID but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Manual for supplemental info:
https://www.novusautomation.com/downloads/Arquivos/manual_n1200_v20x_d_english.pdf

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I will post a larger version of the connector side for you:

N1200_connection panel.png

I/O 2 is only a closing contact.
It can not power anything by itself.

Bertus

KKAMIN

Joined Sep 23, 2017
Hello,

I will post a larger version of the connector side for you:

View attachment 135671

I/O 2 is only a closing contact.
It can not power anything by itself.

Bertus
Thanks Bertus,

Can you clarify that a little bit? what is a closing contact and what would it's purpose be? I'm just confused on where the power source should come to power the heating mantle. It must come through the PID is some fashion right? I figured the I/O should do the job since it has a 1.5A rating etc.

EDIT

Youre reply beat me to it :)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As you can see in my drawing, the I/O is acting like a switch.
A switch on its own can not power the lamp.

Bertus