no breadboard here- testbench for YX8018

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
not sure whats more interesting to discuss.

I want to release a parts kit for the YX8018 IC, need to test the inductors and LEDs.

As well I have a voltmeter on board, and can switch LED mode.
17 switches now
The problem with breadboard is the cost if you want to use a large one, and keep it for a couple of months or so.

Cardboard costs nothing!
I use regular office supplies such as large paper clips (steel wire), and pins, as well small 5x7 proto boards.
The standoffs are made from empty IC bars (never tought I could find a use for them).

So, all the parts cost me...maybe $4 or so.

Why plug wires back and forth when you can use switches? I can turn on/off any of the inductors and LEDs.
Turn on the voltmeter, and change LED mode, as well use 1 or 2 batteries.

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
not sure whats more interesting to discuss.

I want to release a parts kit for the YX8018 IC, need to test the inductors and LEDs.

As well I have a voltmeter on board, and can switch LED mode.
17 switches now
The problem with breadboard is the cost if you want to use a large one, and keep it for a couple of months or so.

Cardboard costs nothing!
I use regular office supplies such as large paper clips (steel wire), and pins, as well small 5x7 proto boards.
The standoffs are made from empty IC bars (never tought I could find a use for them).

So, all the parts cost me...maybe $4 or so.

Why plug wires back and forth when you can use switches? I can turn on/off any of the inductors and LEDs.
Turn on the voltmeter, and change LED mode, as well use 1 or 2 batteries.
If it works, it works!:D -- though lead length/parasitic reactance issues will be exacerbated at RF (including signals having RF constituents -- e.g. digital and other non-sinusoidal signals)...

But then I'm bound to ask why? --- While breadboards, inarguably, cost more than cardboard, they would certainly seem more than worth their expense! --- Am I missing something?:confused:

Best regards
HP

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
If it works, it works!:D -- though lead length/parasitic reactance issues will be exacerbated at RF (including signals having RF constituents -- e.g. digital and other non-sinusoidal signals)...

But then I'm bound to ask why? --- While breadboards, inarguably, cost more than cardboard, they would certainly seem more than worth their expense! --- Am I missing something?:confused:

Best regards
HP
i have breadboards here but dont even want to think about them.
Dont havve the right wire + the circuits fall apart after a while and its hard to find out which connection is loose.

yes i will maybe get effects from long wire at 200 khz

but its a few nH ??

I wonder how that counts if I deal with 47uH or so, what matter does it make even have 1uH extra from wires?
EMI?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
i have breadboards here but dont even want to think about them.
Dont havve the right wire + the circuits fall apart after a while and its hard to find out which connection is loose.

yes i will maybe get effects from long wire at 200 khz

but its a few nH ??

I wonder how that counts if I deal with 47uH or so, what matter does it make even have 1uH extra from wires?
EMI?
The effects will, indeed, be negligible at 200KHz -- Be advised, however, that, if your application entails non-sinusoidal waveforms, attenuation of harmonic content will distort the signal --- A square wave, for instance, requires 'passage' of at least five (odd) harmonics is any semblance of transition time fidelity to be preserved (implying a bandwidth of at least 2.2MHz) e.g. assuming an added inductance of, say, 2nH, the fundamental will 'see' an XL~2.5 mOhms while the fifth odd harmonic (@2.2 MHz) will see XL~28 mOhms -- The significance if which will depend upon other circuit constants... Note also that this discussion doesn't even touch upon the subject of improper termination (Spec. complications corollary to reflection, ringing, radiation losses, undesired transformation, ETC...)

But again, if it works, it works!:cool: --- I confess to ignorance of the YX8018 and, hence, the specifics of your application:oops:

Best regards
HP

Last edited: