Next Unit of Computing, or my LAST unit.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So I'm in the market for a new desktop PC. Mine is getting long in the tooth so I want to upgrade. Something recent, something small (to compliment my small desk), something to kick some butt, something to work for me for the next few years... maybe longer than I'll be working and assume room temperature.

Should anyone have any comments please post. I'll probably order this tomorrow via Amazon.

Here is what I am looking at:
Base:
Intel NUC mini PC kit NUC7i7BNH
Intel Core i7-7567U 2 Cores / 4 Threads
Iris Plus Graphics 650
HDMI 2.0a, Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C
Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth

Solid State Drive (OS and apps):
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)

Conventional Drive (data storage):
Seagate Firecuda 1TB SATA 6GB/s 5400rpm 128 MB Cache Hard drive ST1000LX015

RAM:
Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) SODIMM - CT2K8G4SFD8213

Windows 10 Home (holla back is you have a great legal source cheaper than retail)

NUC's (Intel Next Unit of Computing) look like great small footprint computers. While you can get turnkey systems I'm going to kit route to customize all the fiddely-bits.

Wish me luck getting it all together and working!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've been all over the nucblog site the past few days. Love his configuration pages. Hate that Amazon's RAM seller is a slacker when it comes to shipments.

Thanks for the input.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Just getting used to this thing. Just incredibly fast. Installed Windows 10 in under 5 minutes off a thumb drive (plus 20 minutes more as it did automatic updates over WiFi).

Boots up in 12 seconds. Twelve! It is sitting next to me now and hardly warm to the touch. Nor can I hear its fan.

Very happy with this unit. I want more!!!